Weekly specific topic - Buyer Protection

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi everyone.

As well as running the weekly Live Chat every Wednesday from 4pm to 6pm GMT, we will also be running a separate thread for a week on specific topics.

From today until next Tuesday, the 20th of September, we will be talking about PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy.

I will start by advising on some common queries that we receive regarding buyer protection. If you have anything else that you would like to ask, please feel free to ask here and we will monitor this thread over the next week.

Keep in mind that this is only relating to buyer protection. If you would like a different topic to be discussed next week or in future, please let us know through our Feedback thread here

Here are some common answers to queries that we receive:

What is covered by PayPal buyer protection:

Our Buyer Protection covers you for items that you have bought in the event that you do not receive your item, or the item is significantly not as described.

You are eligible for our Buyer Protection if:

• You didn’t receive the item or the item is significantly not as described
  • You used PayPal, an eBay invoice or clicked the ‘Pay Now’ button to purchase the item
  • You paid for the item with one payment (items purchased with multiple payments are not eligible for Buyer Protection)
  • The claim is not for real estate, vehicles or other goods or services that we prohibited or don't protect such as custom made items.
  • You file a dispute in your PayPal account via the 'Resolution Centre' within 180 days of the payment. If you cannot resolve the dispute with your seller, ask PayPal to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim within 20 days of the date the dispute was opened

If your transaction meets these requirements, you can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre and communicate with the seller to resolve the problem. If you can’t resolve the problem with the seller, you can ask us to investigate by escalating the dispute to a claim.

Our buyer protection was recently expanded to include virtual items and services. If one of these is reported as not received or significantly not as described we will ask the seller to show proof that the buyer has received what they paid for.

You can find more information about buyer protection by visiting the website https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security .

If anyone has anything else that you would like to ask, please feel free to comment below Smiley Happy

Rachael

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_Rachael

You have put ''from today until the 13th September'' in your text, you need to put until the 20th September   Smiley Happy

Now a question.

We get lot of posts on here from sellers that have been forced to refund a buyer but the buyer was not asked to return the item.

Now i know if it is fake or dangerous to send in the post that that often happens but it is not just those items so what other reasons would paypal refund a buyer without the buyer having to return the item please.

eg someone phoned up the other day after a buyer was refunded and the seller did not get their item back and was told ''it was their policy'' which it obviously is not as per the user agreement.........confusing.

Also is their no weekly live chat today?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi kernowlass,

Thanks for spotting that, I have updated it now. 

If we refund the buyer from the seller's account without asking them to send back the item, it would generally be one of the issues you mentioned . The other thing that may be happening is that the seller has not responded to the case in time. When a claim is escalated we give them 10 days to respond and just react to the situation. If they don't at all the case would be closed in the buyers favour. 

On a case by case basis we may make another decision but generally speaking that would be it. 

There will be no live chat today but it will be back as normal from next week. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.