Will Paypal here chip and pin reader work with Samsung Galaxy S3?

Ryepress
Contributor
Contributor

When I first read about the chip and pin reader I thought great, now I can ditch my expensive terminal contract for a one off payment of £99 - the higher commission doesn't worry me as my small gallery has a small turnover but needs to be able to accept cards. I downloaded the app to my Samsung Galaxy Ace and researched all the compatibility issues I could find.

The Galaxy Ace appeared to scrape in with adequate version of Android and bluetooth and so I took the plunge.

The card reader arrived and my phone found it on bluetooth- but was unable to pair as my phone doesn't support "HID devices" This I discovered could be a bluetooth problem, an android problem or just that my phone wasn't deigned for Human interface devices.

Having got so close ( and having a £99 hole in my bank account), I am still keen to get this to work so am thinking of upgrading to a Galaxy S3, but all I want to know is; will this work?  Most of the forum posts are either from the US which uses a different type of card reader, are out of date or are not about the pairing/HID device problem. 

Paypal says it should work but can't be sure on specific phones.

Is any one out there using this card reader in the UK with a Samsung Galaxy S3?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_paula

Hi Ryepress, 

Welcome to the PayPal community forum. 

To answer your question, Yes , PayPal here will work with the Samsung S3.

We will soon be updating our PayPal Here FAQ's to provide more details on phone compatibility. 

I hope this helps and any questions please let us know

Paula 

Login to Me Too

dt1
New Community Member

Hi, we have a similar question. We wish to use Paypal Here, we do not have a smart phone at the moment, we are considering a Sony Xperia L with Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 OS, will this work with Paypal Here ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi dt1,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

In order to run PayPal Here, an Android device must include the following specifications:

-Bluetooth 2.0 (or Higher)

-It must support both capturing devices and peripheral card readers via Serial Port profile (SPP)

At this time, PayPal Here is not compatible with the following Android devices:

-Samsung Galaxy Ace (Model number - S5830, Android version  -2.3.6)

-Samsung Galaxy Y (Model number - S5360, Android version  -2.3.6)

-Samsung Galaxy Ace Advance (Model number - S6800, Android version  -2.3.6)

-Samsung Galaxy Pocket (Model number - S5300, Android version  -2.3.6)

PayPal Here is also currently not available for Android tablets.

dt1, although we cannot guarantee that PayPal Here will work will all phone models, based on the information above, it should be compatible with a Sony Xperia L.

However, if you have a family member or friend who already owns a Sony Xperia L, you could ask them to check this for you before you purchase the smartphone yourself?

I hope this information helps,

Conor

Login to Me Too

Sherbet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there

will paypal here work on Blackberry Q5?

thanks

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi Sherbet,

Welcome to the PayPal community forum. 

I am afraid; PayPal Here is not available for Blackberry Q5.

Thanks for showing interest to use PayPal products.

Arda

Login to Me Too

smeggyboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Can you please tell me if Paypal here is compatible with the Samsung  SM-A300FU?

thank you

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi smeggyboy,

You should find the answer to your question here

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

nathan-barber
New Community Member

Here's my problem I own a barber shop and just purchased a android tablet with jelly bean 4.2 which should work by your tech spec...? But it ain't compatible?! 

I need the card reader to work in my shop with my tablet or I've wasted £199 as the spec page says nothing about not working on tabkets?. Is there anything in the pipe line or way to make this work or I'm screened.

Many thanks 

Nathan

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi nathan-barber, 

This sounds frustrating, at this time PayPal Here is not supported on Android tablets I am afraid- see 'check compatibility' under 'Get PayPal Here' -  https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Apologies for any inconvenience, 

Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.