PayPal here machine not working

Chloekins
New Community Member
My PayPal here reader froze today so I reset it by inserting a pin in the reset button, I have used it since and it was fine, I've come home from work and noticed a message saying 'damage to reader detected. Contact pay pal' any clues??? I use this everyday for work and pay pal phone lines are now closed??
Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi Chloekins, 

Sorry to hear this, best thing to do here is reach out to the PayPal Here team directly. They'll be happy to run through your options. 

You can call us on <removed> or <removed> or email us at <removed>

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

bookstore
New Community Member

We are getting the same message. Was working fine then that message came up. When we try a hard resit it's not completely shutting down, just restarting immeadiately. Any ideas?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi bookstore, 

Sorry to hear this, here's how to perform a full factory reset:

1.  Locate the small opening next to the power button on the Chip & PIN card reader.
  2.  Insert a pin into this opening and hold it until you see the green triangle flash 8 times and one asterisk sign lit up. This indicates that the device has undergone a factory reset.
  3.  Once the Bluetooth light starts blinking, pair the card reader to your smartphone or iPad and open the PayPal Here app.
  4.  Complete any initialisation or updates if the App prompts you to. We recommend that you complete this step using a WiFi connection and with the card reader connected to a power source.
  5.  Once the card reader has been initialised and the software update has been completed (if needed), the card reader is ready to be used for payments.

If you continue to experience problems with your card reader after the factory reset, please contact Customer Support.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

JJWCR
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problem, the reader is 2 months old, used once. When to use it for a show today. Broken, same error message. Phoned PayPal and got the "oh that's new, not seen that message before". Turns out PayPal have known about this since last year as I have seen posts where people complained. Think PayPal being such a big company could afford not to rip us off by selling us faulty terminals. 

Login to Me Too

DrewAka
New Community Member

I have gone through 5 readers same problem every time after about 2 weeks. I have a theory that it has something to do with people who use metal credit cards. I have seen them use them then the reader dies.

Login to Me Too

JJWCR
Contributor
Contributor

Since my problems with PayPal, I ordered a FREE terminal from izettle and never looked back. Putting down my experience with PayPal and cost of terminal as a loss. The izettle app is fantastic and machine works every time. 

Login to Me Too

Toyman2008
New Community Member
Can I link it to PayPal here app?
Login to Me Too

James1089
Contributor
Contributor
Don't think that's possible and can't take payments over the phone or online, you can however continue to use PayPal app over the phone at a slightly higher rate by adding the information manually.
Login to Me Too

James1089
Contributor
Contributor
There's a reason izettle stopped selling this machine, they now use a different one which supposedly more reliable.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.