PayPal 'Here' card reader battery life

vikingtone
Contributor
Contributor

hi.  I have had one experiment with the card reader, at a craft sale yesterday.  So far I have had a few issues with the reader, which I will investigate further via these pages.  My first queston is:  does anyone have any experience with the card reader battery life?  I charged the thing fully, but it went totally flat and turned off after three hours.  I feel this is quite poor. After all, I suppose a number of people will want to use this thing the way I have, at a craft fair where access to power was very limited.  I need the card reader to be alive a heck of a lot longer thatn 3 hours.  I could conceivably re-charge overnight, but 3 hours is just not enough.  Any other experiences would be very valuable, thanks

I do find it frustrating. The 'rules' about where to post are not accurate. This post has nothing to do with selling on eBay, selling from my website, or reversals.   OK, there has to be structure, but if there is to be structure it needs to encompass all the possibilities

Login to Me Too
92 REPLIES 92

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Markus, you are obviously getting on ok then with SumUp.

Login to Me Too

tecsup2003
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have had similar problems. Charged the battery correctly when first received.  It worked ok for about 4 hours then went flat.  Recharged until it said battery was fully charged.  Next morning the battery was flat with no transactions being done at all.  I have contacted Paypal and have now been given a list of things to do to try to restore the battery.  I will do this tonight and come back if it works, otherwise the unit is going back!

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

I think you have a good opportunity to return it.  As it's not fit for purpose as it just doesn't do the job. the most transactions I have processed through any one of my 5 devises is actually 4 or 5 before it has died,  the battery life is diabolical but my devices have all stopped pairig up too.

I am also looking into SumUp.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi tecsup2003,

Sorry to hear this. Here are the details for our dedicated PayPal Here team if you are still experiencing issues with the reader. You can call us on <removed> <removed> or email us at <removed>

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

tecsup2003
Contributor
Contributor

Carried out full factory reset, loaded software update and now reader battery is normal.  I have had the unit connected to my iPhone all day and battery is still full.  Problem solved. 

Login to Me Too

AJLA1
Contributor
Contributor

Pleased to hear that you are sorted tescup.  You are fortunate.  Each one of my devices were factory reset as advised by Paypal with no satisfying conclusion, which is why they have sent me five replacements. 😞

Spoiler

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi tecsupp2003,

Glad to hear it, thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

C10B
New Community Member

Just to join the long list of complainers - we too are shocked by the terrible battery life and have to keep the reader permanently connected to the charger to make it usable, which is completely contrary to the purpose of having a mobile device. It's one of the downsides of being an early adopter I guess, you get given something hardly fit for purpose until version 2 comes out. Version 2 had better be a free upgrade or I'll be moving to a different provider.

Login to Me Too

amydk2014
Contributor
Contributor

After endless battery and transaction problems with the v1 card reader I called customer service today and discovered that there is a software update pending for the reader. I'm doing the factory reset and update now but I'm baffled as to why PayPal did not send out an email notification that a software update was available! The agent expressly told me they DON'T routinely send out such notifications. I'm surprised, especially when there's so many customers having issues who might find an update useful!

Perhaps it's because the v1 readers are only under warranty for 1 year and after that they refuse to do a replacement? 🙂 I found out mine is past its warranty deadline (again, thanks for no email on that PayPal) so it's basically now a paperweight unless I can get it to work again.

Questions for PayPal:

1. Why don't you tell customers when there's a software update released?

2. Why haven't you offered upgrades for all faulty v1 readers even if they're past their 1 year warranty? We shouldn't have to fork out £79.95 for the new one when we already paid for v1. (The customer service agent offered me a £20 discount but at £59 that's still a lot of money and I have no confidence it'll be any better than v1).

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi amydk2014,

Welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the reader, we do have a 1 year guarantee with the reader & are sorry you feel this is not long enough. We will be sure to pass your feedback to the relevant team.

In relation to the software update, there is no update for the V1 reader at the moment so I can only presume this is an in app update. If so, you should be prompted about this within the app and the app store.   

Again, we'll be sure to pass your feedback to the PayPal Here team directly. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.