Selling on Gumtree

Hutch100uk
Contributor
Contributor

I am selling an item on Gumtree and the buyer wishes to use paypal as they are not local.

As the seller, I need to ensure I am not scammed by having them create a chargeback or dispute on the item.  I'm just worried about accepting this payment.  

I know if they select 'goods' when they send me the payment, but am I covered as the seller if they decide to try to scam me and get the money back??

Also, just been researching this and the buyer has asked to buy in 2 installments - I'm now worried about this!!!  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Hutch100uk,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

I don't recommend receiving a payment in two instalments, to be covered by our protections there should be only one payment to you. You are correct about making sure to receive a goods payment, you should also be sure that when you send the item you used tracked shipping. That way if the buyer were to open a case to say that they have not received the item, we can prove that they have.

You can read up more on our seller protection policy here https://www.paypal.com/gb/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security .

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.