Paypal credit card chargeback claim

Henryyyy
New Community Member

Today i received an email from paypal stating that a buyer had filed a credit card chargeback from almost 3 months ago! At the time, he sent me a photo of his credit card blanking out the numbers as well as a picture of ID i asked for as i am selling virtual goods, so i wanted to make sure i could be protected.

I no longer have the money to refund the buyer, and i really do not see why i should be refunding him as he received the goods purchased months ago.

Is there anything i can do to help win this credit card chargeback? or do i simply not have a chance.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Normally if a buyer files a chargeback it is done via the buyers credit card company and not via paypal direct.

So if the c.c. company find in favour of the buyer then he would get a refund.....but if it was for unauthorised use of his card (ie it was hacked and another used it) then whilst he gets a refund you would not lose out either as you would be covered by seller protection.

BUT in your case you lost the seller protection as you were selling virtual goods that are not covered by seller protection.

If you had sold goods that were posted then if you supplied a tracking number that proved delivery of the goods to the paypal registered addy of the buyer then you would have been covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.