Negative balance - how to resolve ?

pudclarke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I want to use my card to clear my negative balance but when i click on the 'resolve my negative balance' link, the same page just reloads.

I need to refund a buyer from ebay within 3 days but if i use the bank transfer option to add funds to my account it takes 5-7 days !!!

It says in the help pages that you can use your card to resolve negative balances but how do i do it ???

Thanks

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal_david

Hi there Pudclarke,

If you are unable to resolve your negative balance from any of the cards registered on your account, you should try clearing your temporary internet files. If you are still unable to resolve your balance, you should then try using a different web browser to try and resolve your negative balance.

There are a few different possibilities as to why you are unable to do this. If you are still unable to resolve this problem, it could be a technical issue. If this is the case, please let us know and we can try to escalate the issue on your behalf.

I hope the information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

pudclarke
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David

Thanks for yr reply.

Can you clarify something for me as i am somewhat confused - i have had to pay £25 approx into my account to clear the negative balance. I need to refund my buyer £25 which means i have had to pay a total of £50 ??

According to my paypal account, the original money i received from my buyer is 'on hold' - does this mean Paypal will put it back in my account after i have refunded the buyer ? - if so when will this happen ?

Thanks

ps - i did manage last night to add funds to my account using my card - must have been a technical blip

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi pudclarke,

If the funds are on hold in relation to a dispute or claim, it means that we have already removed the funds from your account. If it is a dispute or claim and the case goes in the other parties favour the funds held will be given to the other party. If the case is found in your favour you will then have a plus balance for the held amount.

I hope this helps clarify

Paula

Login to Me Too

pudclarke
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry but I am even more confused The buyer has raised a case with eBay not paypal but paypal have placed the funds I originally received from the buyer on hold. I have had to put £25 into my paypal account to clear the negative balance. I have agreed to refund the buyer but if I do this I would have spent £50 sorting this out - you talk about a case but the buyer has not raised a casewith paypal so how will I get the £25 back from paypal if I refund the buyer ?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there pudclarke,

Even though the case was opened up with eBay, PayPal still place the funds on hold and PayPal will return them to you or the buyer depending on the outcome of the case.

If we were to issue the refund to the buyer we would only do this from the funds we have on hold so you wouldn't be out by £50, only the £25 to clear your balance.

If the case was found in your favour then we would release the original £25 eBay asked to hold back to your account.

I hope this information helps you

Wayne

Login to Me Too

zeptinune
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, just quickly, having the same problem.

Buyer wants me to refund him the 25€ the item cost. I am happy to oblige.

However funds are on hold at the moment, or whatever because it is now a claim. I just want to refund.

At the moment I cant refund because my balance is in the red (which is so stupid).

If I put 25€ in my paypal from my card to make my balance 0€ again. Do I then have to refund another 25€ to the buyer? To which I will have lost 50€...

If so, where exactly does the other 25€ go? I don't understand this properly, you need to make it more informative and easy to understand on your webpage.

I don't want to lose 25€ just to clear my balance. I just want to be able to refund the guy and have my balance go back to normal...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi zeptinune,

When your balance is taken in to a minus balance for a case opened, it means that we have already taken these funds to refund the transaction if necessary. If you add funds to your PayPal balance to restore your negative balance, this will be you paying of the funds that are owed to refund the held transaction.

If you then wish to refund the payment that is held, there will be no additional funds taken as we would have taken the funds from your balance initially.

Please be sure the refund the payment via the case as it will help to close the case quicker.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.