Why cant I use BillMeLater everytime I use paypal?

sanchezbrat
New Community Member

I changed my preferred payment to bill me later but I never know when BillMeLater will be used.  It seems really random.  It seems that I'm rarely able to use it and I have a pretty good limit.  Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
42 REPLIES 42

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

Good news!  We've been able to enable functionality that will allow you to link an existing Bill Me Later account - whether it was created during guest checkout or not. 

To do this, when you check out, use your open PayPal account.  Do not use guest checkout (checking out without creating a PayPal account).   Bill Me Later must be listed as an available payment option to do this.  Select Bill Me Later as your funding source.   When you enter the information, it should hook up the existing Bill Me Later account with your open PayPal account.

If Bill Me Later is not listed as a funding option, this process won't be able to be used.  Please keep in mind Bill Me Later is not available for use at all merchants at this time.

If you do not have an existing Bill Me Later account, when you do sign up for Bill Me Later, make sure you are logging into your PayPal account when completing the Bill Me Later application and it will be automatically linked. 

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

G_S
Contributor
Contributor

That's Partially good news.

I guess most people are interested in abstracting whether the merchant accepts BillMeLater or not, by paying using PayPal (hiding the fact that their BML is being charged... to the merchant it's a PayPal payment). At least that's what I am trying to achieve.... If you think about it, there's no significant benefit of linking Paypal to BML for merchants that already accept BML... it works w/o Paypal anyeay... The whole linking is needed so that BML can be used w/ merchants that *only* accept PayPal...

Thanks for your responses.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Well, if anyone is interested in which merchants accept Bill Me Later, check out https://shopping.billmelater.com/

Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

ellexi
Contributor
Contributor

I just "assumed" that eBay accepted it because that's where I was offered BillMeLater. It was offered when I purchased items off eBay and therefore "assumed" it would work at eBay. Evidently, the stories about "assuming" things are correct. It DOES NOT work on every checkout at eBay.

I am currently not happy with it. I guess I didn't do enough research before signing up. I sure wish I had found these postings before I had signed up for it. I am currently sitting as a winning bidder on eBay for auctions that I cannot pay for because BillMeLater is not a funding option on those certain auctions.

Right now I feel that PayPal and BillMeLater are sneaky misleading companies. So sad.

Login to Me Too

kay9
Contributor
Contributor

Weird! I just logged onto BillMeLater to view my account summary and there is a new row stating "Available Credit:"

Login to Me Too

ellexi
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I figured it out. Took me a few hours and tons of research but....

BillMeLater is only offered on Buy it Now and SOME auctions on eBay. But there's no way of finding out what "random" auctions it's available on until you go to check out. What a scam!

But at least I know now.

Login to Me Too

jmitchell
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing has happened to me--I assumed that Bill Me Later would work for any PayPal payment, since PayPal has been pushing it on me nonstop for all these many months, so I have committed to buy something that I had planned to charge to Bill Me Later.

Apparently, we have no way of knowing whether Bill Me Now will be an option until we commit to buy an item and go through the checkout.

This is a crummy way to do business.  If I did my job this badly, I would be out on the streets.

I am a new Bill Me Now customer, and I have to say, I think the service **bleep**.  I can't imagine that I will keep the acount open long.

Login to Me Too

gnosy
Contributor
Contributor

@kay9 wrote:

Weird! I just logged onto BillMeLater to view my account summary and there is a new row stating "Available Credit:"

thats because bill me later is a merchant account with matching funds,you spend 5$ it gives you 5 credit,

Login to Me Too

kay9
Contributor
Contributor

Does this procedure need to be through a ebay check out only or can you do it through a website that accepts paypal and billmelater (i.e buy.com and summitracing)?  I have tried by doing the steps through buy.com but i not getting the BML as a funding option when choose PP and go through the checkout process.

Login to Me Too

joejoev
Contributor
Contributor

This statement taken from the BML eBay Seller FAQs seems to be the bottomline cause of confusion for most if not all of us buyers:

"There is no application process for sellers to use Bill Me Later as a payment option in eBay checkout. PayPal will automatically enable Bill Me Later as a payment option for qualified transactions."

The buyer needs to know if the item he/she wants to buy is a "qualified transaction" BEFORE committing to purchase the item on eBay. If the buyer has a BML credit line and it's a source of funds on the buyer's PP account there is no logical reason why the buyer can not fund the purchase with BML (assuming the credit line is not over extended and the item being purchased is not on the prohibited list).

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.