BILL ME LATER is a scam, impossibe to cancel

Tin

I am furious about the deceptive sceens which falsely lead the paypal user in to the Bill Me Later business.  Further, it is impossibel to determine how to cancel the connection with Bill Me Later.

Login to Me Too
132 REPLIES 132

mazarnelli
Contributor
Contributor

It is true that they don't make it easy to cancel, but it's NOT impossible! I know because I just did it. Just call PayPal and ask to be transferred to BILL ME LATER. They said that it must be done verbally-you can't do it over the computer. To me this doesn't make sense because you open the account online so why can't you close it online?

@Tin wrote:

I am furious about the deceptive sceens which falsely lead the paypal user in to the Bill Me Later business.  Further, it is impossibel to determine how to cancel the connection with Bill Me Later.

Login to Me Too

alphazordon
New Community Member

Been purchasing things online for quite sometime using PayPal (with a linked Debit Card).

Everytime I made purchases online via PayPal, I would pay immediately thru by bank acct. No Problems.

BML comes into play and and randomly received a call saying i owe $500. Didnt ever sign up with them or had an acct. so how did this happen. 20% interest and $25 late fees?!OBSURD. I had to make a BML acct online just to see what i owed. WTF is going on here and how are they able to continue this fraudulent business practice.

It's essentially a Credit Card that you never signed up for and never knew about.

Obviously im not the only one this happened to. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about using their "service"

Cancelling my Paypal and BML as soon as this pmt goes thru

Login to Me Too

101morgan
New Community Member

Yes, Bill me Later is a disgusting trick on the part of paypal.  Boo on us for falling for the "give it a try, here's a $30 credit", using the credit, and then trying to cancel.  They don't cancel it no matter how many times you call them, the customer service in the US (Arizona) is in on the scammy way of dealing with customers, they are snide and supercilious, and just as jerky as the people who thought the scam up, ie the "banker types" who decided it was OK to strip customers, rather than keep them happy and coming back.

Paypal started as a great company with a great idea; then the idea got perverted by ebay and the huge volume; they added on so many seller and buyer fees because they're a monopoly; I used to believe in market forces, but it's terrible behavior like this that makes me think regulators are right.  

Just like Google; Fbook, etc...they start out as "do no evil" and once they reach a critical mass...disaster.  I'm more than disappointed - I'm mad as **bleep** - and I will make my voice known way beyond this forum that they establish to corral the anger.

Login to Me Too

jskess
New Community Member

What is the real scam is that BillMeLater requires payment using your bank account( or in the very fine print hidden at the bottom of one of the pages) you can send a check. Like I am going to give anyone my bank account number. Insult is added to injury when the switch to Bill Me Later is unnoticed, I lose my points on my frequent flyer program on my credit card!

All I ask Pay Pal to do is make PayPal the default and if I want to delay payments I can opt for Bill Me Later.

How can we get our useless governing bodies to get involved in this??? How about one of the lowest human life forms, the class action lawsuit attorney.....

Login to Me Too

Andreas2k10
Contributor
Contributor
What forms of electronic payment are accepted?

You can pay your Bill Me Later account online using either a checking or savings account. We do not accept credit cards.

Are there other ways to pay my Bill Me Later bill?

You can pay your Bill Me Later account online using either a checking or savings account.

To pay by our automated phone service...
To pay by phone, please call 866-528-3733
...pay by phone. I gues it is hard to find...under Frequently Asked Questions.
Login to Me Too

teacherguy

This is VERY bad business.  We need to collectively see if we can make a class-action lawsuit against this company.  We fell victim the same way as many other users.  First we tried to PAY right on the spot for items via PayPal as we always have and we were led to a BillMeLater screen that we did NOT choose to go to - with no way of exiting (i.e. not opting) for the BillMeLater choice.  Basically you're stuck on the BML screen waiting for another option that never comes.  Like the scam is apparently set up to force us to do - we click the BML box feeling that we will just have to pay that way since there is NO OTHER OPTION and wait for the bill.  Time passes and we later recieve a LATE CHARGE for non-payment.  It turns out our payment invoice does come via email but goes straight to our SPAM folder - which we never check!!

We speak to a BML representative who gives us the run-around and ADMITS on the phone that it IS a scam - agreeing that is how they make their money!

I have sent PayPal a notice of this and and waiting to see how they respond now.  After reading all of these posts, I imagine that they will do nothing.  We'll have to wait and see.

Login to Me Too

beware_of_bml
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I felt the need to make this name in order to post on this forum.

I hope that all of you know that Bill Me Later allows people to open credit accounts in any name if they have their name, address and the last four of their social security number.  How do I know this?  It happened to me.  I received two letters from this very poorly run organization, claiming that my accounts were opened.  One was addressed to "Jane Doe Jane Doe".  That's the name they opened the account.  the other was address to "Jane Doe" with the address spelled incorrectly.

Getting through to this company is extremely time consuming.  Once you do, they send you endless duplicate forms requiring a statement that you really didn't open this account.  In this age of IP tracking and any other tracking, they're going to convince me that they can't figure out who opened this account in my name and purchased goods from Ebay?  Sorry, I don't buy it.

Yes, I've done everything I can think of, I now have an fraud alert on the credit of everyone in my family (Cost $300 per year), I've written to credit bureaus informing that I did not open these accounts, I wrote to the "email" address where the account originated (hushmail.com), but Bill Me Later continues to send the same exact form to be completed.

The Local Police don't get involved in this, it didn't happen in their jurisdiction, the FTC has a form to complain, which I did.

Now, I'm telling this to anyone who can listen becuase not only are Ebay buyers and sellers upset with this company, but if you do a search on exactly what happened to me, you'll find it is happening quite often.  Is Bill Me Later involved in the fraud alert companies?  Who knows.  How are they making money on all of these fraudulent accounts?

Anyhow, good luck to all of you trying to cancel accounts you opened, I'm trying to get an account cancelled that wasn't opened.

Login to Me Too

imispgh
Contributor
Contributor

I agree and have been complaining about this for a while.  Now I see a new screen, First you have to oppose the Bill Me Later default then after I choose my credit card (which the system should let me automatically default to) I see another page asking me if I am sure I do not want to use BML.  PayPal is trying every trick in the book to scam people.  I use the **bleep** out of PayPal and am very disappointed.  If there were another service I would use it. (Since there is no real competition this is why PayPal pushes this stuff.  Then again I could just pay direct with my card through eBay which I think I will start doing)

If BML was so **bleep** good people would CHOOSE it as their default and PayPal wouldn't have to resort to this nonsense to trick people into using it.

Login to Me Too

jfphoebe
New Community Member

We never opted (or opened an "account" with) for the Bill Me Later method of payment and have received a statement via U.S. Mail showing a balance of $62.50.  When we called the customer service number, they want a month and year of birth, the account # shown on their statement, the last 4 digits of the S/S# and your address.  When we stopped short of providing all of the info, the rep wouldn't look up our account to tell us exactly which transaction (on Paypal) we made and used their service.  My husband hung up and said he's just not going to pay them.  Anyone else get a bill in the mail?

Login to Me Too

imispgh
Contributor
Contributor

Funny that the default works fine when using a PayPal balance. No BML monkey business then.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.