how to delete a debit card

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

OK, this is getting really frustrating. I am getting mad. I don't hardly ever used this PayPal account and I have no idea how to use it. I don't even know why I ever bothered setting it up.

But I have closed a bank account and the related debit card that was the card on this PayPal account. So, luckily, I thought to add a different card and remove the old one. I added the new card and made it the primary card. Now when I click Delete on the old card in my profile, it won't let me. It pops a box (very lightly with no noise or flashing) that says 

You may not remove your back-up funding source while an instant transfer is still pending.

OK, so what is this instant transfer and where can I see it?

I even went into the bank accounts section and removed the account that I just closed.

HELP - I am sick of this and just need to get it over with.

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

dazdnconfzd2

I want to delete a credit card from my account.  I keep getting there is an authorization pending, but I have nothing pending.  HELP!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi r-o-s-i-e and dazdnconfzd2,

Welcome to the forums!

r-o-s-i-e - If you go to Profile > Add or edit credit card, you can delete the old one and add the new one. It will require that you enter the full number of the card to verify, so if you don't have that information on hand, you'll need to find an old statement or contact your credit card company to get the full number.

dazdnconfzd2 - You may need to talk to Customer Solutions, so they can try to find that pending authorization and fix it. In very rare circumstances, a pending authorization will fail to expire on its own.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

dhesson
Contributor
Contributor

Ok today I am having the same problem (cannot remove a credit card because of a pending instant transfer).  I tried calling the PayPal customer service number, got  a ring tone for about 1 second, then -something- picked up, maybe an automated system putting me on hold.  No music and no one spoke to me; just silence.  I waited 10 minutes and no one answered the call.  Tried again, same result.  This is during their posted business hours, and I had my pin number ready that PayPal provided me at their Customer Service center.

Anyways, let's think about this.  I bet the majority of the people who are removing the credit card are doing so because:

* The card is no longer active

* It has no funds available

* It is not their card and it needs removed promptly.

PayPal locks it because its a backing source, and if any of the above is the reason they are removing it, then it definitely should be allowed to be removed (pending transfer or not).  The solution PayPal has taken in handling credit card removal is disappointing at best.

Someone please send this scenario to their software architect for credit card removal:

Is the card linked to a pending transaction

• YES:  Ask for the user to select an existing card on their account to use as a backing source -OR- ask for the  user to enter another credit card to be used as  the backing source.  Validate the card info.  If it's valid, then DO THE REMOVAL and swap the backing card on the pending transaction that was originally preventing card removal.
  • NO: Then just remove the card

This is obviously a bug in the system.  Almost everyone posting here didn't even have a transaction that was pending.   Fix the software for Christ's sake.

Even if it is a backing card, my card isn't even valid anymore (I closed it due to identity theft over 2 months ago).  How about next time before starting a transaction, make sure the card info is valid (because I know for a fact it wasn't when the transaction was initiated today).  Let's LOCK YOUR CARD in place even though I can't bill it.  Well yeah, that's a great idea PayPal.  Keep ticking me off today, and being useless to your own end.

Login to Me Too

shermandawg
New Community Member

How is it March 1, 2011 and PayPal still hasn't fixed this problem?????  I am trying to remove old credit cards and it still says can't remove while instant transfer is pending even though I HAVENT HAD ANY INSTANT TRANSFERS FOR MONTHS????

Seriously, who is running this thing?  I don't have time to call customer service and go through a phone tree when I should be able to click the "remove" button.  

Seriously Paypl - this is ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone!

If the card is linked to a pending transaction, it can't be removed until the transaction settles. If it's past the time where the transaction is relevant, the card should be able to be removed. If it is not, then your specific situation needs to be examined by a representative. You can contact Customer Solutions by clicking "Contact US" at the bottom of any PayPal page, and then click Call Us or Email Us.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

alextsnet
New Community Member

FYI guys/gals - I had this problem but resolved it myself by removing the card as a backup funding source for preapproved (i.e. recurring) payments. A few of them were magazines I still get, but most of my preapproved billing cycles were services I had long discontinued (apparently they were recurring in the TOS and I just wasn't looking and/or didn't remember).

I don't know the exact directory path to get to your preapproved payments, but if you type "preapproved" in the upper-right search box when looking at your statement, it will be the first link in the results. As far as the heat on Page 1 goes; of course one's own money is a big deal. There are plenty of good reasons to criticize Paypal; no need to go inventing any. 🙂

Login to Me Too

veggiemom
New Community Member

I am having the same problem, getting the notice in the yellow box "You may not remove your funding source while an authorization is still pending"...

I checked my ebay account and removed the bank account as my payment method, then went back to PayPal, trying to remove my bank account, still no success! I get the same message!?

I don't understand why this is being made so hard for us PayPal users; especially when there's another method of payments (credit card) connected to the account!? I have no pending payments or anything visible so I assume it must be the same problem like others already mentioned here and someone from PayPal needs to physically go and check and clear it?.. Very frustrating indeed!..

Login to Me Too

Meowington
Contributor
Contributor
Same here. Cant delete debit card due to "Authorization Pending", even the transaction is long finished. I cannot believe that pp is in good faith here, this is abouth financial info after all. I wrote to csr, the reply was of course useless. Should i contact my bank, or maybe the Law?(inappropiate handling of financial information)
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.