how to delete a debit card

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

OK, this is getting really frustrating. I am getting mad. I don't hardly ever used this PayPal account and I have no idea how to use it. I don't even know why I ever bothered setting it up.

But I have closed a bank account and the related debit card that was the card on this PayPal account. So, luckily, I thought to add a different card and remove the old one. I added the new card and made it the primary card. Now when I click Delete on the old card in my profile, it won't let me. It pops a box (very lightly with no noise or flashing) that says 

You may not remove your back-up funding source while an instant transfer is still pending.

OK, so what is this instant transfer and where can I see it?

I even went into the bank accounts section and removed the account that I just closed.

HELP - I am sick of this and just need to get it over with.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal on the phone and they resolved this for me. The card has now been removed from my account. As far as we could tell, all funds had cleared for all transactions, but someone must have clicked something wrongly or had forgotten to do something.

Thanks PayPal. Now I can rest at ease.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

I got this email a little bit ago as an answer from PayPal:

This is to confirm that you removed your WELLS FARGO BANK NA X-**** account from your PayPal account on Nov 10, 2010. To link another bank account to your PayPal account (you may have up to 8 bank accounts on file), go to www.paypal.com?cmd=_profile-ach-add.

I seem to have gotten this reply from PayPal. But the problem is ... I don't know what to do still. I DID remove the Wells Fargo Bank x-**** account when all of this problem surfaces and the card couldn't be deleted. So it IS removed but the card still can't be removed for the with that same issue.

HELP!

And now when I log in, I see this new PayPal Balance: $29.99 USD on the main screen for My Account. But what is that? Where did it come from? Do I owe someone or owe PayPal that $29.99? I have clicked on all of the links that I can find and can't get it to display anything which tells me of a transaction - at all - and especially not a $29.99 transaction.

I guess that I am just too stupid to use this site, even though I consider myself to be pretty technologically sound and can solve most computer issues.

OK - please just tell me exactly and specifically (word for word) what to do and I will do it!

I just create JPG screenprints to show that I have removed the bank account and still cannot remove the card associated with it, but I see nowhere to attach attachments to this reply. I will look back at my original posting to see it I can Edit it and add those attachments. Nice

Login to Me Too

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal,

I either need to have this mess straightened out:

1. Tell me who charged me $29.99 today and probably reverse this charge

2. Delete my Wells VISA (****) debit card that I have tried to delete and which won't be deleted. I have even posted on this forum for help in understanding how to remove this card since the bank account has been closed at the bank and removed from my PayPal Account.

Or I would like you to Immediately close & cancel my PayPal account. I am not happy at all with the confusion of operating a PayPal account. It should be much simpler and straight-forward so that it can be used by most people. And it is not. I am not stupid or ignorant. I am a 51 year old guy who has run a few businesses. One of them successfully for 21 years with nationwide sales of a manufactured product. I have done my own basic accounting and also earned a real estate broker's license here in California, then bought a franchise, and set up a new office with it's own network of DELL PC's.

I am sick of this mess. I am not impressed with PayPal at all right now. Please either fix me up or get me out.

Sincerely,

Jeff Davis

PS fix your darn "Attachments" link below here on this forum posting page, so that I can attach an image that is saved on my computer and not just add a link to something that has been uploaded somewhere. That is not an attachment! Another darn PayPal annoyance.

Login to Me Too

HOLLIE63638
New Community Member

Ok Mr. Davis, first thing you need to do is calm down and take a look at your profile on the ebay home page. Then all you need to do is locate your debit or credit card number, and click remove next to it. If you have not removed the bank account associated with the card then it will not be removed, so make sure you did that. If you did then it should not be a problem removing the card. If this does not work just reply back here and I will try to help you further.  No I am not a PayPal rep. I just have been using PayPal for quite some time now.

Login to Me Too

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

Hollie. OK, I will calm down. Thanks for that. I really need to calm down. I'm sorry, but I am really frustrated with several bad tech issues right now. I need to be way more patient and just resolve the issues. I'll try!

I've looked at my profile on the eBay home page. I located the debit card and clicked Remove next to it. And, I have already removed the bank account from my profile that this card was associated with. I have also added my new bank account and the new debit card and made it Primary.

But when I click Remove next to the card, it still displays this note shortly afterwards in a yellow box just below the title  Credit and Debit Cards that says You may not remove your backup funding source while an instant transfer is still pending.

What is an instant transfer and who is it to, and why is it still "pending" after several days of displaying this same message when I try to delete this debit card? How do I stop this "instant transfer" or see any details on who/what it is?

If I click on the History tab, it shows nothing in All Activity or on any of the next 3 tabs. The More Filters tab lists lots of items if I hover my mouse over it, but none can be clicked as the whole list disappears if I try to point at any of them.

Another issue is this $29.95 USD PayPal Balance that shows on most screens. What is that? Do I owe someone $29.95 or am I owed $29.95? When did it happen? I see nothing on the All Activity tab, which apparently only shows All activity - Oct 13, 2010 to Nov 12, 2010. How can I change the dates and see if this $29.95 happened prior to Oct 13, 2010? I'll bet it did prior to October 13, but I have no idea what it is or when it happened. I had no looked at my PayPal account and had not used it for many months prior to trying to change debit card recently when I changed my personal banking to a different bank.

I have tried to insert images below to show this mess, without disclosing any private personal info. Hope this helps and I hope that I haven't messed up and disclosed anything that I shouldn't disclose. The first image is what I see after I click Remove next to the 3306 VISA, which is what I want to do since it is no longer a valid card.

<images removed>

Login to Me Too

cardz11
New Community Member

I know this is a post from a while ago, but I had the same question, and I have to say, you rock....did just what you said and it worked like a charm. Just wanted to say thanks for the simple "how to"......Woman Happy

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jadavis,

I'm very sorry that you're having problems with your PayPal account. We absolutely want to help you. If there is a transaction that you need more information about or which you believe is unauthorized, please contact Customer Solutions by phone as soon as possible so it can be investigated and explained, or a claim filed if necessary. The members of the community will not be able to assist you with issues specific to your account, and PayPal can only protect you if you contact Customer Solutions to make a report.

I have edited the financial information out of your previous posts to protect the safety of your personal information. You also will definitely want to avoid posting screenshots from within your account of your financial information.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

tarrant6

OK, this is getting really frustrating.. But I have closed a bank account and the related debit card that was the card on this PayPal account. So, luckily, I thought to add a different card and remove the old one. I added the new card and made it the primary card. Now when I click Delete on the old card in my profile, it won't let me. It pops a box (very lightly with no noise or flashing) that says 

You may not remove your back-up funding source while an instant transfer is still pending.

OK, so what is this instant transfer and where can I see it?

I even went into the bank accounts section and removed the account that I just closed.

HELP - I am sick of this and just need to get it over with.  I need help, I did the same thing, no credit card available.

What can I do to remove credit card?               

Thanks,

Jerry

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi jadavis and tarrant6.

If you're still getting a message that says that the debit card is a back-up funding source for a pending instant transfer, that means that there is a transaction in your account that you made recently where we are still waiting for the funds to clear from your bank. The debit card in question is the one that was set as the back-up funding source for that transaction. Once the funds for that transaction clear from your bank, the debit card will be able to be removed.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too
Solved

jadavis
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal on the phone and they resolved this for me. The card has now been removed from my account. As far as we could tell, all funds had cleared for all transactions, but someone must have clicked something wrongly or had forgotten to do something.

Thanks PayPal. Now I can rest at ease.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.