The PayPal Top Up Card Closure

PayPal_john
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

The PayPal Top Up Card programme has ended as of 31st March 2011. This follows the decision by Royal Bank of Scotland Group, the bank that runs the Top Up Card for PayPal, to withdraw from the prepaid card market. Any balance that was in your Top Up Card account will be issued to your PayPal balance (hopefully over the next week as of today, the 20th of April). If you do not have a PayPal account then a cheque is being sent to your contact address.

PrePay Solutions is our new card issuing partner for future card products. Together we will be launching a new product, called the PayPal Access Card around May. This will offer all the benefits of the Top Up Card but with the advantage that it doesn’t have to be topped up as it is linked directly to a customer’s PayPal account. To start with, we have decided to limit the availability of this new card. This means that, unfortunately, not every existing card holder will get one. We have already contacted those involved with the initial launch to let them know that their new card is on the way and will continue to contact them. For everyone else, rest assured that we plan to launch the card to a wider audience in the near future. We do not have any exact timeframe for this right now.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

ubergrrrl
Contributor
Contributor

Looking further there seems to be a limit on how much you can use the access card for-£1600 per year unless you pay £5 to "upgrade" your card..

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/accesscard/pdf/upgrade.pdf

Login to Me Too

RoySim
Contributor
Contributor

If you go a little further into the website, youll find this note:

Currently the PayPal Access Card is only available by invitation which selected customers will receive by email.

but I had also received an email from cust services after enquiring that it would be coming sometime around August or September.....

Login to Me Too

clarebears

I received an email telling me that my new card would be sent in May.

Im still waiting for it.

Im really dissapointed - I relied on the card for the small business I run and Im really stuck without it.

Ive also found PayPals lack of communication regarding the matter to be very dissapointing, there's hardly any info on the new cards - whats happening with them etc etc.

Login to Me Too

ubergrrrl
Contributor
Contributor

ive just had another look at the access card site,and clicked on account manager,it redirected me to the card issuers site,allowed me to log in and i can see my new card account number,balance and that it has been "issued" has another button for me to "activate" card when it arrives eventually i guess.

does this mean that things are moving on? That we may get our card in the forseeable future??!!

Login to Me Too

engineman
New Community Member

i have received my card

but everytime i try to activate it i get this message;

There is a problem with this website's security certificate

so, although i have been lucky enough to receive one, i cant use it

Login to Me Too

elainek
Contributor
Contributor

I received my access card yesterday...I cannot activate it as yesterday there was a  problem with their site certificate and today an internal error

I rang customer services and they said they were aware of the problem and to download firefox or google chrome as apparently it is a problem with IE ...I downloaded firfox and they do not even recognise the URL ...so I will try again later with IE as I am not downloading loads of  programs and clogging my lappy  just to register a  card 🐵

Hope it is sorted soon

Login to Me Too

ubergrrrl
Contributor
Contributor

im getting the exact same error message today -my card arrived yesterday

i have tried both IE and firefox browsers-both same error

this does not bode well if they cant even get a login to work

Login to Me Too

ubergrrrl
Contributor
Contributor

seems to be working now-well its let me log in anyway!

Login to Me Too

elainek
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks uberggrrrl

Pleased to see you managed...I still had no joy  with IE...but have managed this time to log in with firefox ...brill Smiley Very Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.