Scam email doing the rounds!

kel82
Contributor
Contributor
Received an email this morning claiming to be from PayPal......showed as PayPal and gave me an aol email address. It basically states that they have to open an investigation because my PayPal has been used from different locations and if you don't do it in 24hrs they will suspend your account. It then provides a link to PayPal (assuming its a fake site) and asks you to enter your details. It doesn't address me by name and is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Also when I receive official mail from them I have to click link to show any images, with this it was already there and didn't look quite right. I've already forwarded it to PayPal so just really wanted to make you all aware.
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kel82
Contributor
Contributor
Email address it showed it was received from was chapcars74 @ aol.com (without the spaces)
Login to Me Too

nicky75
Contributor
Contributor

Recieved an E-mail exactly the same today,so watch out people - 

Dear client,
You have received this email because you or someone had used your account from different locations. For security purpose, we are required to open an investigation into this matter
In order to safeguard your account, we require that you confirm your details.
To help speeed up this process, please access the following link so we can complete the verification of your PayPal Account registration information.
http://www.paypal.co.uk/
If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this PayPal account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.
We appreciate your support and understanding and thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Copyright © 2013 PayPal
Login to Me Too

Ameoka

The exact one I got. 

Login to Me Too

janeann
Contributor
Contributor

received today 18/may 2013

Dear PayPal client,

You have received this email because you or someone had used your account from different locations. For security purpose, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

In order to safeguard your account, we require that you confirm your details.
To help speeed up this process, please access the following link so we can complete the verification of your PayPal Account registration information.

http://paypal.com

If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 24 hours, then we will assume this PayPal account is fraudulent and will be suspended.

The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.
We appreciate your support and understanding and thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Login to Me Too

Ameoka

I got one of those scam e-mails too the other day, but as i knew that I only use my online card on certain websites I knew it was fake and deleted it. It is a bit worrying though. 

Login to Me Too

Ads88
New Community Member
I received this email about half an hour ago. Apparently UNICEF have taken £300 from me 😕 just thought I'd let everyone know. Dear grantadam1988, Recently, you told us that you didn't recognise a payment sent from your PayPal account. We are currently investigating the following transaction: ----------------------------------- Details of disputed transaction ----------------------------------- Seller's Name: UNICEF UK Seller's Email: paypal@ unicef.org.uk Seller's Transaction ID: 107081991 Transaction Date: 26 Apr 2013 Transaction Amount: -300.00 GBP Your Transaction ID: 107081991 Case Number: PP-649-663-308-468 Buyer's Transaction ID: 64Y66649H3666999C The seller has been asked to provide more information about this transaction. During our investigation, the funds will not be available in your PayPal account. If the case is decided in your favour, we will refund you for the amount of the transaction. To see the details of this case, log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre. http://www.paypal.com/uk/ Yours sincerely, PayPal Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page. BC:PP-646-646-946-066:R1:GBP300.00:64Y66649H3666999C Copyright © 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349 PPID PP107081991
Login to Me Too

Thanks for letting me know this is fake due to the location, I just lost 120 dollars, and an iphone because of these a-holes

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.