Change of address to abroad (outside UK and US)

mariaque
New Community Member

Hello,

I wanted to update my paypal details and change my address. Although I can edit the address, postcode, city, etc, I cannot change the country! Yet I have moved to Italy. This obviously also affects the new bank details I'd like to enter. What should I do?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
73 REPLIES 73

andymcgra

PayPals' inability to allow customers to register cards outside of their country of registration is astounding!

In this day and age of globalisation and many many companies sending employees off to other parts of the world surely there is a huge need for the above facilty.

PayPal touts itself as #1 online payment portal and yet it is completely incapable of keeping up with customers requirements.

I came across this problem when I moved to Finland and actually made a purchase with my UK registered bank card. However, when I tried to get the item sent to Finland I hit a brick wall and was blocked.

I called PayPal and explained and they totally stonewalled me and just repeated the company policy of trying to eliminate online fraud. While I applaud this noble undertaking surely PayPal can see they can acheive this without punishing customers who don't fit the "ideal model".

My UK banks have absolutely ZERO issue with me living abroad and holding my UK bank cards so why can't PayPal?

Login to Me Too

lizruizhu
New Community Member

I have just moved to Ireland from Singapore. 

The card linked to my Paypal account is with a Singaporean bank. 

When I try to pay for something using Paypal, but WITHOUT signing into my account (the option for those who do not have an account or do not wish to sign up for one), it keeps declining my card, saying it cannot be used. 

The address I enter is the Irish one, as the merchant's instructions are to make sure the shipping address is the same as what is entered when making payment via Paypal (without signing in). 

How can I solve this?

Login to Me Too

Becc
New Community Member

Hi, i'm trying to add an Australian credit card to my UK Paypal account because I've moved here now. You mention that we could try inputting as much of the new address as possible on the Paypal website and if the bank accepts the address we've provided you (Payal) would also accept it. But I can't see how a bank would accept an address that had the wrong country associated to it? And as you mention, you can't change the country?

I'm confused. Should I just keep my UK Paypal account with my UK bank details and UK address and open up another Australian Paypal Account with Australian bank details and Australian address? Would this be simpler?

Many thanks for any advice.

Login to Me Too

kinfrance
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck with trying to open a new account in Australia. I want to open a new one in France and can't; I think you'll find a lot of people have a similar problem. Something that should be simple, isn't.

Login to Me Too

TriMan55
New Community Member

No it doesn't.

1. Change your page to allow ALL International Billing addresses and banks.

Login to Me Too

Riquez
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this is totally stupid.

I have a UK account, I live in Japan,

It is now impossible for me to use paypal in any way.

I cannot update my details, I cannot use my card with paypal, I cannot register a new account in japan for the opposite reason. & i cannot get a credit card in japan because I am a foreigner.

I thought this was the "internet" payment system, but the regional restrictions are a joke.

Login to Me Too

RegularUser
New Community Member

Hi - I'm trying to change my home address in Paypal to a different street and city (same state). I click "edit" and make the changes and then click "save." It pops back to the page listing all addresses and tells me with a yellow warning bar that my address has not changed and to click "edit." I've tried numerous times. What am I doing wrong?

Login to Me Too

Kynthinos
New Community Member

Similar problem. My account is in the UK. My holiday home is not. I can select my holiday address for orders placed on eBay and delivery is often not a problem. But some eBay sellers insist on posting to my registered Paypal address, which means that stuff arrives at my UK home when I'm not there to accept it!

Login to Me Too

Kynthinos
New Community Member

I would add that Paypal/eBay lose out because I end up ordering from Amazon with my bank card.

Login to Me Too

andrewtrott

I agree this is completely absurd. The whole point of an online payment system like PayPal is that you don't have to go into a damn physical bank and have a 3 hour conversation with your friendly banker to move a dollar or two of money over the street to the post office so that you can mail your grandmother a letter that is put on a steamboat and will arrive in 3 months!! WHY can we not change the country on an account? We would like a technical response. And if not, a politically enlightening one. 

Moderator, please tell us why this issue still has not been fixed and why you're sending me to Amazon right now to use a different vendor and get something I didn't want. I would like to give you my (and I expect thousands of others') business, but you have made that literally impossible.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.