Change of address to abroad (outside UK and US)

mariaque
New Community Member

Hello,

I wanted to update my paypal details and change my address. Although I can edit the address, postcode, city, etc, I cannot change the country! Yet I have moved to Italy. This obviously also affects the new bank details I'd like to enter. What should I do?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
73 REPLIES 73

kinfrance
Contributor
Contributor

I think I can say a big THANK YOU from all the frustrated PayPal account holders abroad - if, of course, it works for them! (There are so many different circumstances.) If you could find how to do this, why couldn't  the PayPal moderator suggest it?

I've just managed to open a new PayPal account in France by giving a different email address. Now I'll have to remember that I did!

I'm amazed by the extent of your patience and persistence tackling this issue; the frustration goes all the way back to the early years of the decade, so I hope it helps loads of people.

By the way, since I tried to resolve my own problem via these forum posts, I've seen your name come up endlessly, so I'm really pleased for you. Kudos!

Login to Me Too

Rockster969

I opened a pay pal account in the UK then moved to Spain where i have my bank account but I can't transfer funds from pay pal to my bank as it asks for UK banking details like a sort code which the Spanish banks don'r have so what can be done?

I have money i am trying to access so it's not a cae of closing hte account and opening a new one.

I'd like a reply pretty sharpish if possible as i've got to suss out what to do to if I can't soon access these funds as I live right up in the Spanish mountains and am an invalid with emphysema so very vulnerable.

I'm thinking if pay pal haven't sorted their mess out that i could give details of a relatives uk account to access the money then open a new account with wholly Spanish details?

Login to Me Too

Aparato
Contributor
Contributor

Welcome to the world according to PayPal!

You cannot have a PayPal account with your bank in one country and an address in another - according to PayPal this is "due to banking regulations" which is utter tosh as all the real banks will allow you to do this.

You also cannot change an existing PayPal account between countries! If you move to another country then you need a new paypal account.

What you have to do is open a new PayPal account for Spain adding your Spanish Bank details and Spanish address. To do this you will, of course, need a second email address (must be genuine), I have my own email server so no problem for me but if you don't have that luxury I suggest gmail or similar (but NOT hotmail which has had any number of security problems).

HOWEVER, if you have a spanish bank and your registered address with them is non-spanish then you're stuffed!

I have UK credit and debit cards with a major UK bank both with my registered address in Spain, so I cannot use either card with paypal.

btw if you trying to use paypal to transfer money UK to Spain then I would recommend using transferwise or similar.

Login to Me Too

riquez2
Contributor
Contributor

@Riquez wrote:

## FINALLY THE ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM ##

After 11 years I have finally found the way around this problem!

• In your PayPal account page select the ADD BANK option (not card, BANK)

• You will need to enter your bank sort-code & account number.

• On the payPal main page where you see your balance click ADD MONEY.

• Then select the "You move money from your bank account" option. It will give you PayPal bank details. (print or save it)

Then go to your online banking website & set up a payment to paypal (company). In my case it was already an option so i didnt need to enter paypals details.

This way you can transfer money from your bank account into paypal.

I would like to add to the above. After making the transfer & spending your money (in my case i transfered £100) When this money was all gone, if you continue to use paypal to pay online, your bank will initialte a directDebit payment into paypal to cover any new transactions - so this way it will now function exactly like a normal paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.