PayPal UK Community Chat - 20/04/2016.

PayPal_david

Hi everyone!

Please feel free to join our UK Community Chat with our moderation team starting on Wednesday the 20th of April between 4pm and 6pm GMT.

We will be on hand between the above times to answer any PayPal related questions - or just to have a quick chat Smiley Happy

We are going to leave this thread open for questions until the live chat ends on the 20th of April. If there is anything that you would like to ask, please feel free to stop by.

Talk to you soon!

David.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_david

Hiya ! 2 again to get the chat rolling   >>>

We are getting quite a few posts from paypal users in Latvia and Lithuania having trouble adding cards to their paypal account.

Having done a bit of reading and checking it appears that paypal has stopped use of Mastercard and they can only use Visa now in Eastern Europe??

Can you confirm whether this is true or can they still add their Mastercard?

Do you ''have to have'' a back up card linked to your paypal account to use funds already in your paypal account balance?

Only it seems sometimes paypal asks someone to link a card / other times folks say they have been using their balance and no back up card for years with no problems so i want to give the right advice.

Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hey again Kernowlass.

I myself have had a few contacts from customers in these areas in the last few weeks regarding adding different types of cards on a PayPal account.

From what I understand, it's mainly Maestro cards that are no longer able to be added on a PayPal account. This would have been the case in other countries previously too.

Customers in Latvia and Lithuania currently only have the option to withdraw funds to a local bank account or Visa card. From answering questions from customers in these areas recently, I was advised that it can be quite hard for them to get Visa cards issued from their bank but they should still have the option to withdraw funds to a local bank account from their PayPal accounts if needed.

Regarding having a back up card added on a PayPal account when there are funds in the balance. Normally customers should be able to use the balance in their PayPal account to fund a payment for an item that they are purchasing but our security system may prevent a payment from completing if there are no active funding sources registered.

It may be possible that they have been using PayPal with payment funded from their balance for a few years previously but our internal security system as you are aware is fully automated and could prevent a payment from completing or restrict a funding source on any payment attempt.

In these types of situations, you could advise the customers that even if they were to register a card to their account, our system should still debit the funds on the account to fund the payment as it would normally.

David.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_david

Is this out of date then??

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside&dispatch=5885d80a13...

Only on that one Latvia and Lithuania cannot withdraw to their local bank account.

The only option for a bank account is a US one??

And thank you for the second answer   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi again Kernowlass.

I've just double checked this and it looks as though only Business account holders with the new look website can add a local bank account and withdraw in Euros. This feature hasn't been enabled as of yet for Personal and Premier accounts. 

When I was getting contacts regarding this a while back, I had provided feedback to the relevant teams at the time to see if there was anything that could be done to enable other card types for withdrawals in these countries due to the difficulties encountered when trying to obtain Visa cards. 

Hopefully one of these options will be rolled out soon that should help people in these countries to get access to their funds. For the moment for any customers with Personal or Premier accounts in these countries, the only option looks to be to withdraw funds to a Visa card Smiley Sad

David.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PayPal_david

Thank you very much.   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

You're more then welcome Kernowlass Smiley Happy

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.