becoming verified

tomme34
New Community Member

im trying to send money for an ebay purchase and was told i needed to be VERIFIED to do so because i have already sent over 9,000 dollars thru paypal, thats bull^%$@

they ( paypal) are asking for my personal banking information to get verified  ,which i do not feel comfortable doing.

after fighting with these people thru emais, which i realy dont think they even read, i was notified

i was hacked, which indeed looked like i was looking at my account, contacting these people does not help, i changed passwords and still paypal wants my personal bank information before i can send or accept money from them again,

is this normal??

has anyone else here given them their personal banking info?

whats going on here, im being reported for non payment because i cant access my paypal account and pay a seller on ebay.

i need help, and paypal is NOT helping me here. what is going on?? can anyone explain this to me??

thanks

tom

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

Some (many?) buyers have encountered the same lifetime sending limit... they either linked a bank account or qualified for a PayPal credit card in order to lift the limit. Login to your PayPal account and click on the "View Limits" link to see what limits you have and for instructions on how to lift the limits.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/dulcinea02/limits02.gif

Login to Me Too

jaci

Paypal is starting this scam of a $10,000 limit.  Then they want your banking info.  And their workers are in the Philippines and God knows where else.  I wouldn't give my banking info to them.  I would call or email eBay if I were you and complain.  Also, notify the seller and ask to send them a check.  Paypal is going down the toilet.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal/eBay has had my checking account information for 7 years with my card as a back up. Nothing negative has ever happened. My payments for items are paid directly from my checking. My eBay invoices, my purchases are all paid this way, and they have never charged me one cent over or done anything wrong. You really have to worry more about computer hackers than you do Paypal. If indeed the workers are in another country, that does not necessarly mean they are dishonest. They may feel the same about people outside their country. I would be more worried about making payments over the Internet to people whose addresses you do not know are confirmed and those who have not verified their identity through Paypal.

You have more protection through Paypal than you do with merchant accounts, so work with them and don't let it get you so upset when they ask for information needed to protect sellers and buyers.

Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

Also, you need to go into Paypal and type in Verified, read that information, and Confirmed and read that information. It is important to establish trust and with verification and confirmation, the buyer/seller knows you have done this.

Would you buy from a seller who was not verified ? Would you sell to a buyer who was not? Although in some cases, it does say it is okay to ship, the buyer may not be confirmed or verified, and without that, the seller is up the creek if the buyer tries to do a charge back. Buyers also need to consider the position of the seller who often is "stiffed" so to speak by non paying bidders who are given 4 days to pay, then 4 days after the non paying bidder notification, only to have them still not pay taking the item off the market for that long and the very high probability of not anyone then wanting a second chance at the item because in 8-9 days, they have shopped and bought elsewhere. So, this is why the verification and confirmation is so important to a seller. I have not given any thought to why Paypal sets a limit and then requires banking information since I, as a seller, gave mine when I started 7 years ago.

Twice in the last couple of weeks, two non paying bidders, and now one has finally paid who is unconfirmed and unverified, and I am not shipping until she does..but, guess what...she can leave me negative feedback if she wants. I am now at her mercy if she does not verify and confirm her id. She can refuse to cancel the transaction, and then she can leave me negative...but under eBay "laws", I am not allowed to put anything negative in her feedback because it contradicts the positive feedback, the only kind of fb we are allowed to give.

So, if you have spent 9 or 10k and you are complaining about having to give your bank account information because you want to buy, remember the sellers had to do that to be able to sell and think of all that we endure when buyers can literally get away with anything. So you get a non paying bidder mark on your ebay account. Do you think that matters to eBay? They say that if the pattern continues, they will remove the person, but do you really think they will? You are in no bad situation if you don't pay thanks to eBay. They know non paying bidders have millions of sellers they can buy from and they are not going to stop a non paying bidder because they know that most of the time you are going to pay and they get from 9-12 percent from the seller and then Paypal gets over 3.25 percent. So, why should they care if buyers don't pay sellers??

Don't panic. Just do what the other person advised, but I would ask them if you can send them a money order and I would send it certified return receipt requested. However, you are going to run into this with any other purchase, so maybe if you don't want to give your information you want to open a new id and buy from there....but be forewarned, buyers are very wary about what they think to be newbies because they are the ones who leave negative because they have the ridiculous idea that they are the "eBay police" and must report anything they didn't like without contacting the seller or they just don't pay because nothing is going to happen to them. They don't care if there are sellers who sell because they have lost their jobs and are depending on that money. After all, for some reason some of the buyers think that if you sell on eBay then you must be unable to do a "real" job or that sellers are beneath them. Oh, after 7 years, you would not believe what buyers have put me through and said to me when I sell exactly as described, communicate (as you can tell), ship quickly and safely and am very nice to them.....Once I sent something interesting to my long time customers who were still in touch and buying, and I inadvertantly sent it to a one time buyer. Quickly she replied that "You are not my friend. I am not your friend. I look at you as "only a seller", so do not send me emails with information you think I might like....Needless to say, I blocked her from buying again. Now, this has nothing to do with Paypal and giving them information, but I hope this helps you to understand why it is so important to the sellers to know the buyer they are selling to is who they say they are and using their own credit card. This is why verification and confirmation is so important.

Login to Me Too

credit-kidnapee
Contributor
Contributor
  • I've hit my sending limit TWICE as a buyer. First, I was forced to stop using my own credit card with an excellent paying history and get a PayPal card. Otherwise, I couldn't buy on eBay. Regardless of my credit risk, I now have a "sending" limit that forces me to remit with e-checks via PayPal rather than my PayPal Visa card. First PayPal coerces us out of using our existing credit cards so they don't have to pay a processing fee; next they force us to use the debit system so they get instant funding (no waiting until I pay my bill in full) directly from my bank account. Is this a monopoly or what? I do know it's crazy to penalize your best customers for a maybe 1% operating cost reduction. Seems lost business and ill-will would off-set that gain.
  • I'm considering becoming a seller but the horror stories about dishonest or just plain ugly customers have me terrified. Sounds like sellers are always the loser in disputes, no matter what. Hearing, now, about being denied timely access to the money I've earned and already paid eBay/PayPal at least 15% in non-negotiable seller fees, has me wanting to hide under the bed. IS IT WORTH IT? How does a seller maintain cash flow under these constraints?
  • eBay began as grassroots capitalism made accessable for all. How American is that! Now it seems to have turned into giant shake-down system. If not eBay, where do we go with our last-ditch attempts at making ends meet at home?
Login to Me Too

7yearseller
Contributor
Contributor

As much as I hate to say this, yes it is worth it. In 7 years, I have had maybe a dozen non paying bidders, and 3 of them have been in the last month. It is the economy in addition to eBay not doing anything about it.

But, you have to consider this, regardless of the fees, it is still less than if  you had a brick and mortar store. You have no overhead like utilities, etc. You can quit anytime you like and give no notice. You can take a break, although I do not suggest that once you start selling because you want to be consistent and 'there' when a buyer comes back.

I wanted buyers who were on here to understand why it is so important to us as sellers to protect ourselves as much as possible against dead beat buyers.

I do not understand or agree with what Paypal has done to you. That is simply wrong. It sounds nothing like anything I have encountered with them, but then I have been selling more than buying. It almost sounds like someone made a mistake that you could clear up, but based on what I have read here, it seems to be hard to get Paypal to do anything. Again, I have not had that kind of experience with them.

Go ahead and sell. You will have more "good" people than bad ones buying. You just have to learn with experience what to do and what not to do, what to watch out for...Let me just give you this advice. Make sure that regardless of how much information you put in your auctions that people are not going to read, you need to put in all the information needed to protect yourself, the things eBay recommends. I, myself, like going into an auction with not much to read, but they are leaving themselves wide open. Do not worry if the customer reads it or not, for as long as you cover yourself, you have increased your protection yourself. I have entirely too much to read for the customers since at the first the size is always in there, and yet I have these people emailing asking the size. They simply don't read..BUT, as long as what you want to say is in your description somewhere, it is hard for them to come back on you if you have covered all the bases.

Good luck with your selling..I would definitely do it, but another bit of advice. Be organized from the beginning for eBay will take over your home, and if you doubt it, go in and talk to some sellers who are trying to get their homes back. We start thinking we will just do a little, and then it gets out of hand and it ends up devouring our space, so start out knowing that.

Login to Me Too

credit-kidnapee
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply with your advice.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.