possible bogus email

rowland2010
New Community Member

i have found a email that is instructing me i have sent a payment thru paypal to skype for a large sum of money,i have not opened the email,i have gone straight to my paypal account and logged in ,i am being told their is no action on my account but now i have  to go thru the pain of going to my bank to check that no money has been taken,i have had no dealings with skype ever has any one else had one of these emails

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi rowland2010

There are a lot of bogus skype emails on here type skpe in the search box and you will see

Login to Me Too

Spinerette
Contributor
Contributor

I too have today received an email purported to be from Paypal saying I have paid money ti Skype , I have never had any dealings with Skype . I was instructed to fill in all of my details secure & otherwise if I disputed the payment , not done so of course but I have forwarded the email to my bank.

Login to Me Too

stoke_sue
New Community Member

i also have had an e-mail regarding skype, i quickly opened another tab logging onto my paypal and found no transaction, i will check with my bank but i would say dont click the link on the bogus e-mail there may be a virus x

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi Guys,

I thought it might be helpful to post a link here to a long standing thread we have about this type of non-genuine email:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Access-and-security/Scam-Email-regarding-payment-to-Skype-Inc/m-...

A good tip is to first check how the email addresses you.

If it does not greet you by your first and last name, it is most likely a non-genuine email.

I hope this helps and please send any emails you are unsure about to spoof@paypal.com so we can investigate them fully for youSmiley Happy

Conor

Login to Me Too

Banana12
New Community Member
Hi. I too like "rowland 2010" below, have received an email from Skype1 advising me that I have paid £44 for my monthly subscription fee to them?? I have never subscribed to this at all. I tried to reply to the email but it bounced back stating it was an unrecognised email. On clicking on the link it showed on the email which I believe to be bogus, it took me to a website that stated I must be lost and in the wrong site?? No money has gone from my account and so I strongly suspect that this email claiming to be from pay pal is in fact a bogus one. Be careful.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.