poss fake email but its a good one

sl1ced
Contributor
Contributor

hi i received an email at 5am this morn claiming to be paypal securtiy.

it said i have paid a company 40.90 and if i want to cancell click this link, so being cautious i put my explorer into safety mode with the virus scanner and firewall on full whack this is the link http://210.22.14.216/swf/cah.html its an exact copy of your homepage but none of the links except logon have a active linkup to another site, i didnt enter any information and straight away ran virus and spyware and also changed my hotmail and paypal passwords

just looking for conformation it isnt genuine paypal and to report it to a highrr power cos someone will get robbed

the msn address it came from is asdd.derf@msn.com i take it this is a spam addy.

i also took the time to email said company who said no payment has been taken and its a spoof email along with checing my paypal account and bank its just a bit worrying, but nothings gone.

hope this is the right place to report it too

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Bemister
New Community Member

I received the same e-mail, which said:

Hello PayPal Client,

You sent a payment of 40.90 GBP to Mobile Top-up Online (sales@topups247.com) 

If you haven't authorized this charge, press cancel payment and get a full refund.

It then gave a copy of the usual receipt that you'd get from paypal, but I could tell that there were differences.

The main name of the address was: ppalsi and was an msn account which was a bit of a giveaway.

Definitely a fake and a scam, hopefully this will be resolved in some way as some may fall for it.

Login to Me Too

carkel
New Community Member

Hi

I know its not exactly the same but could you help. I have tried to contact spoof@paypal.com and the email bounces back saying permanent failure to deliver.

Anyway, I was trying to sell a camper and received this email. Do you know what the scam is? It would help if I understood what this is all about. thanks

Reply to Caravans4u Advert V W Transporter Caravans

Bin

X

Email from:  Do you still have this item for sales?
10 Nov (4 days ago)  

yes
10 Nov (4 days ago)  
|
Steve Clark
Hello, Thanks For Getting back to me I would love to know your best price for...
11 Nov (3 days ago)  
Steve ClarkLoading...
11 Nov (3 days ago)  

to me
show details 11 Nov (3 days ago)  

Hello,
Thanks For Getting back to me I would love to know your best price
for the vehicle and also would love to see some pix of the vehicle and
will like to know it present condition,I am interested in the
purchase of this vehicle ,i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine
engineer and due to the nature of my work, phone calls making and
visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check
this advert and send you an email regarding it,I would have come for
the viewing at your location but due to my work frame as i said
earlier that will not be possible if you can provide me good pictures
of the vehicle i am ok with it and it condition. My form of payment
is PayPal,I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank
account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my
paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it and please if you
don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to
www.paypal.com and get it set up, after you have set it up i will only
need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to
put the money through. I have a pick up agent that will come and pick
it up after i have made the payments..

Thanks for your understanding.
- Show quoted text -

>>
>>
>

Forward

Invite Steve Clark to chat

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi everyone,

From looking at each individual query, I would be nearly certain that the emails received were not sent by PayPal.

sl1ced and Bemister, the emails you have received would not be sent from PayPal as they advise that you need to either update your account information or cancel a payment. Either way, if you were to click on the link in the emails you received, it would ask you for things like your credit/debit card information, bank account information and other sensitive information that we would not ask for in an email.

Carkel, I would be nearly certain that the correspondence you are currently going through with a potential buyer is not a legitimate transaction. I would be nearly 100% sure that you will receive an email in the near future, supposedly from PayPal, advising you that you have received a payment in to your account and that the funds are being held until a shipment tracking number has been supplied. If this is the case, you should check your PayPal account to see if there has been a payment received. If there is nothing to show that you have received a payment for the amount specified, the email was not sent by PayPal.

Here is some more information on phishing emails:

Ensuring that emails are really from PayPal:

Check the greeting. We always address you by your first and last name, or the business name on your PayPal account.

See if the email asks for personal information. A PayPal email will never ask you for any of the following:

•  Bank account numbers
•  Debit and credit card numbers
•  Driver's license number
•  Email addresses
•  Your full name
•  Your password, or answers to your PayPal account security questions

Check for attachments. We will never send an attachment or software updates to install on your computer.

If you think you've received a fraudulent email, forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and then delete it from your mailbox.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.