PayPal email

Elicka
New Community Member

I have placed an add on gumtree to try and sell my car and have received the below email from Justina Ferguson.

The email sounded a bit strange so I wanted to check if this is a scam? Here is the email:

"Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being on wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. 
Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?"
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Elicka

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal, don't quibble on price and can never collect it themselves as they are either working offshore, in the military or disabled so they want to send a courier.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will tell you that the buyer has paid you the car cost plus extra to pay for the courier BUT that YOU have to pay the courier via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the car, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Elicka
New Community Member

Thank you so much for your reply! I am so glad I trusted my instincts and did some research on this.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Elicka

Your welcome, glad i had finished my baking and logged on to see your post   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.