Going round in circles at the "Can't log in?" page

ChrisG_UK
Contributor
Contributor

I can login to my UK PayPal account, no problem at all.

I have anotherPayPal account in another country that I need to login to. I am entering the correct email address and password but get the error "Sorry, we can't log you in. If you think there's a problem with your account, contact us and we'll help resolve it".

So I click on the "Having trouble logging in?" link, and the modal captcha challenge pops up. I enter the account email address and the captcha code, and click Continue.

I'm then redirected to the "Can't log in?" page, where there are two options:

Option 1: Please click here if you forgot your password

Option 2: Please enter up to three email addresses you may have used to create your PayPal account.

I haven't forgotten either my email address or password but Option 1 seems best so I click the link in Option 1, and am taken to the the "Forgot your password?" page. I enter my email address (for the third time) and the captcha code (for the second time) and click the Continue button.

I'm then taken back to the "Can't log in?" page, with the two options. I can go around this loop all day without success. Option 2 doesn't help either. It just takes me to the "We found your email address" page and I end up back in the same loop.

I have been having this problem for a few months now. Sometimes I can get around it by changing my IP address, so my guess is that I am hitting some kind of security challenge. But it's really tedious and right now I can't seem to get in at all.

I have tried sending a message to support but got a moronic response with some standard paragraphs.

I'm out of options. It appears something is broken here. What can I do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

ChrisG_UK
Contributor
Contributor

I never got a response to my problem from support, but something has been fixed, because now when I try to login using my home broadband connection, I get the "We don't recognise the device you're using" dialog. I suspect this was what was supposed to happen before but for some reason it didn't quite work, so this is good progress.

I still can't login because now the system wants to send a confirmation text message to my "customer service" mobile number, which is an old mobile number than I no longer have access to.

If I connect (using the same device and the same browser) but using a mobile data connection, I can login ok. But unfortunately in My Profile there is no option to change the customer service phone number for the account.

I have sent a message to support asking them to change my "customer service" mobile number. I got the usual nonsensical automated reply...

Login to Me Too

ChrisG_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Support changed my Customer Service phone number for me. I logged in to the account using mobile data to check and yes, they have changed it to my current mobile number.

So I tried to login using my home broadband - assuming I would get the text message challenge as I did yesterday. But no, I'm now back to the same old problem, "Sorry, we can't log you in. If you think there's a problem with your account, contact us and we'll help resolve it". Following the links just goes around in circles as described in my original post.

I give up. I'll just access this account using mobile data. 

Something is seriously wrong with the login process. I'd like to help but no-one is talking to me so there is nothing I can do.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi ChrisG_UK, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum.

PayPal Accounts are country specific and the system is designed to detect any inconsistent logins, therefore if you have an account in another country and you are logging in from the UK the security system may decline the login. If you think this could be the reason why I would advise you to contact our Customer Support Team by phone and they can advise you on the best direction to go with this. 

Thanks - Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.