Gmail and Paypal

PaulV2017
Contributor
Contributor

I live in the UK.

Someone in the US has just made a payment to an evangenical church of $100 using their credit/bank card but they provided PayPal with my e-mail address.

The thing is, my e-mail address is a Gmail address and as such, I have an infinite number of variations of my e-mail address so I can't got and provide PayPal with all the different variations, it's just not practical.

https://gmail.googleblog.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

The question is, what can I or PayPal do to prevent people making this mistake? I now have a receipt that was clearly intended for someone else because they didn't know their own e-mail address.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community.

It sounds like your email address may have been used in error. As it is not uncommon for people to make mistakes with their email I recommend you just delete the message.

If you would like PayPal to look into it to ensure a PayPal account was not created with your email address yuo should reach out to our customer service.

-David R

Login to Me Too

PaulV2017
Contributor
Contributor
... and it's OK that I now received the personal details of another Paul Vernon in my mailbox?

Really? is that secure?

Surely when a user enters their e-mail address, if it's recognised by PayPal they should be required to login to verify their identity.

This particular user just donated $100 to an organisation and used my e-mail address to do it without being challenged as to their identity being valid.

I very much doubt that's the way it's meant to happen.

Paul
Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

You do not necessarily have to have a PayPal account to make a payment using PayPal. The smallest of details in the email need to be exact. If it is causing you an inconvenience I recommend contacting PayPal customer service as this is a user to user forum.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.