Is this a legitimate Paypal email address?

kallygirll
Contributor
Contributor

Was selling something online, and requested a payment from the buyer using Paypal. I got an email later from this email address service@transferteamintl(dot)international telling me that the payment was sent using instant payment. 

I've since cancelled the payment request that I sent out on Paypal, but the buyer insists that he's already transferred the amount to my account, but the funds are being held until I pay the "freight charges" (not what we agreed on - he told me he was going to handle all the shipping). 

I believe this $350 transport fee is an old scam, but just wanted to make sure that the buyer definitely did not send any payment to my account

Paypal.png

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kallygirll

YEP SCAM.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg western union or moneygram.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kallygirll
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the heads up! Forwarded the email to spoof@paypal.com and they flagged it as a phishing attempt. Didn't really think about Weatern Union as a rival money transfer service, totally unfamiliar with them, but yeah doesn't make sense for PayPal to ask me to send funds to them .
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.