GUMTREE SCAMMER ALERT - BEWARE OF FRAUDSTER USING NAME OF 'CATHERINE DENNIS'

cessy32
Contributor
Contributor

Have a sofa for sale on Gumtree and then received an odd text on my mobile asking me to email price and gave me a GMAIL dot com address. Thought it was a bit odd as why didn't she just email via Gumtree ad. However, did it anyway.

Then received the following reply from someone claiming to be 'CATHERINE DENNIS'. Clearly some poor person's had their email hacked and now they are using her email address and name to target new people.

"Great! please consider it sold and cancel every other appointment regarding it,i am buying it as gift for my son that just graduated from the college and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it and i will be glad if you can get back to me with some pics if available,sadly i won't be able to come for the inspection and pick up due to my present condition now,i loss my hearing and being on a wheelchair but I have a courier agent that will help me to pick it up at your preferred location

Regarding the payment i can only pay via PayPal at the moment and I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction kindly get back to me with your PayPal email and the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?

Awaiting your reply soon. "

Will report this to PAYPAL NOW.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cessy32

Click on options below your post and use the edit option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cessy32

Glad you were not scammed, but these scammers use hijacked email accounts and usernames so the name you are putting on this board may be an innocent persons so best to edit it if you can.

>>>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cessy32
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, OK, thanks kernowlass

Poor person if her email has been hacked and they are using her name and email address. How do I stop them hacking my email account now and using my name which is on the Gumtree ad?

Cheers

cessy32

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cessy32

Don't answer any spoof emails.

Make sure you have a strong password.

Check your anti-virus and malware is up to date and run regular scans.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cessy32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Any idea how I can edit my old posts? 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cessy32

Click on options below your post and use the edit option.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cessy32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks kernowlass

Did receive another email this morning, as well as a fake Paypal Payment Notification. Sent all correspondence onto Gumtree, which I have to say, they appeare to take very seriously and have sent it onto their Fraud Dept to investigate.

Do hope Gumtree sellers across the UK stay vigilant and don't get taken in by these fraudsters. Shudder to think if they had targeted my elderly parents or neighbours as they innocently try to raise a bit of cash by selling things they no longer need.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.