Gumtree motorcycle scam

lulubell15
Contributor
Contributor

I had a motorcycle for sale on Gumtree, and received a message asking for a few more details on the bike, which I sent. Then came the offer and the fact that he was in America & would arrange for a shipping agent to pick up the bike once he had sent money via PayPal. I started getting suspicious when I asked for his name & address for the log book transfer & the address he gave was too vague, & he seemed very keen to get my PayPal details ( which I didn't divulge).

Long story short, I'm convinced now that this was a scam & want to share this guy's name with you.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lulubell15

Yes you are right its a scam but can you edit your post and remove the name and email address? This is because these scammers hijack innocent users email accounts and use those email addresses and names. So you are probably putting an innocent persons email address on this public board.

The scam works like this and been ongoing for years now   >>>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lulubell15
Contributor
Contributor

How do I edit ? 

@kernowlass wrote:

@lulubell15

Yes you are right its a scam but can you edit your post and remove the name and email address? This is because these scammers hijack innocent users email accounts and use those email addresses and names. So you are probably putting an innocent persons email address on this public board.

The scam works like this and been ongoing for years now   >>>

A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lulubell15

Hi again, just click on options just below your post and use the edit option   Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lulubell15
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.