2nd Dodgy Email I Have Received concerning PayPal

Heathsideboy
Contributor
Contributor

This is the 2nd time I have received an email like this concerning PayPal that has arrived in my inbox, not my junk mail, so somehow they have gotten hold of my email address.  The whole of the email sent to me is shown below after the dotted line.

Firstly, I haven't used my PayPal account for ages, yet they are telling me that this is a receipt for my records.  I've never heard of the Simon Smith they mention as the merchant.  The phrase below in the email where it says, "log in and complete" is hyperlinked encouraging me to click on it. 

I'd like to know what PayPal are doing about this and I would like confirmation that this is not a genuine email?

Thanks

-----------

Hello (they've used my real email address here),

Thanks for using your PayPal account. Here's a receipt for your records.

Please keep in mind that the amount below is what the merchant temporarily holds until the transaction is complete - it may not be the final purchase price.

You'll be able to see the final amount in your account history once the transaction is complete.

If you don't want to receive an email every time you use your debit card, just change your notification preferences.

Amount: £ 45.31 GBP

Merchant: Simon Smith ( simonsmih1002 at domain etc) (they have used what looks like a real email address)

Please note that the name of merchant may be different once the transaction is complete.

If this payment was made with your acknowledge you don`t need to do anything more, just ignore this email

If you would like to cancel this payment, log in and complete the required form. 

Copyright © 2015 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserve

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Spoof just delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Spoof just delete and ignore.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Heathsideboy
Contributor
Contributor

I thought so.  Thanks for the confirmation.  🙂

Login to Me Too

Tintin051171
New Community Member
I got a dodgy email saying they was from PayPal and that I had an outstanding transaction (but odd as I wasn't a PayPal user) they asked for my password and email address to "confirm" the payment so I logged on to PayPal and used the search engine to find my account and as I thought it couldn't be found
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.