How do I find out the total amounts i've refunded customers for the 2013 tax year?

seacoastbargain
Contributor
Contributor

Could anyone tell me how to find out the total amount of ebay refunds in dollars I've given sellers for my Tax report? I no longer subscribe to Terapeak and can't figure out another way to find this amount for the entire 2013 year. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

One method would to export your PayPal Account Transaction History to a CSV file, then use an app like Excel to sort and manage.   See this user guide for report tips:

https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_US/developer/docs/pdf/pp_merchantsetupadministrationguide...

Login to Me Too

MyCheaperStuff
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get your taxes done?  The manual reference would get you all transactions, but if you've never seen that file before, doing taxes from it would be pretty daunting!  

In case you still need this...  I'm just doing my taxes now and did my number mashing for ebay/paypal last night... so this is fresh in my mind...

In the history tab, use the download a specific "date range" and choose all activity, comma separated or tab delimited file.   Either because of limited access to the PayPal server or the speed of my internet connection,  I had to do the year in four pieces, otherwise the request just hung and hung...  

Download the file, Open it in spreadsheet program.  But still, where are refunds for eBay mdse returns?  

Notice all the combinations of "type" and "status".  For my return, I defined refunds as those transactions that had type "refund" and status "complete".  That may be enough for most. Though I suggest you review the names on those records rather than just taking the sum and running with it.   I also had to filter by name, to eliminate refunds of postage from USPS.  

In Cxcel, to arrive at just these transactions type=refund and status=completed out of all the records in the file, choose Auto filter (if column headers are in first row) or use pivot table for a transaction by type summary.  In old versions of Excel, both were on the Tools menu..

This is helpful for documenting my process for next year.  ..  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.