Switching my default payment method

missdogmom
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to switch the default account from which my payments are taken. After checking for a PayPal account balance, PayPal currently takes the money from my bank account, unless I manually change it to my credit card, which is what I always do. To eliminate these extra steps, I would like to set my credit card to be the default after any PayPal balance. Is there a way to do this?

Login to Me Too
86 REPLIES 86

ulalalala
New Community Member

simply click on your bank account

>Direct Debit Instruction

>Remove authorization

Login to Me Too

snugglywarm
Contributor
Contributor
I don't see that option, sadly. I'm going to try removing the confirmed bank account and adding it back as unconfirmed.
Login to Me Too

snugglywarm
Contributor
Contributor

@mthornto88 wrote:

@Katewig wrote:

Hmm, sadly I went to the classic site and did what was suggested. Yes it does appear to make the credit card "primary" - but if you leave the site and log back in, unfortunately the bank account is now tagged "primary" once again! Annoying...

Ok I think I have figured this out with the new site. In the new site, go to the top and select Wallet. On the left, select the card you want to be the primary card for your payments. In the middle, there will be the following section with a greyed out star in front.

Preferred when paying online
We’ll use this when you shop or send money for goods and services.

Click the star and it will turn yellow saying this in the primary payment method now. You should get a confirmation email from Paypal as well saying it is your primary method. I tested it and it is working as designed now. My CC is primary payment method.

Man oh man I was so excited when I read this.  But even though I'm in the Wallet, and I see the credit card, and I select the card, I do not get the greyed-out star or the option Preferred when paying online.   Waaahhhhh!!!  Do I seriously have to delete my bank accounts from Paypal and and see what happens?

Login to Me Too

rubilips
Contributor
Contributor

1 year ago, I deleted the bank account alltogether, leaving only the credit card, despite dire warnings.  I have had no problems at all--PayPal has no choice but to use the credit card, and it works fine.  Probably safer to have the bank info off the account, as well!

Login to Me Too

snugglywarm
Contributor
Contributor
tempting!!
Login to Me Too

Bonaducci

After lots of searching I think this is the only solution for this piece of fecal matter called PayPal. 

In my case I have cards in different currencies and PayPal defaults to foreigh currency which then costs me about 15% for exchange... I just have to remove all other cards and add them again when I use them. I've already lost about 80$ because of that. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20220813bb
New Community Member

Hi

Hoping your screen is the same as mine and this is the answer you need.

Click on the 'Settings' cog, then click on the 'Payments' tab (third tab in), you will be able to change;

"Pre-approved payments" (direct debits by individual debit)

"Your preferred way to pay" (your default "online purchases", and for some reason badly named "instore purchases")

Hope this helps. (Just found it myself!)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220813bb

You are answering a question posed in 2013, think they may have found it by now   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mefm247
New Community Member

Even though the question was asked in 2013, other people like myself were still looking for this solution (it's the first result in Google). So his response helped me find it. It's in the same "My preapproved payments" page but it's now called "Set available funding sources", you have to uncheck the ones that you do not want to use.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Ashley

Hi everyone!

It looks like some things have changed since this question was originally posted in the PayPal Community Help Forum! I'm happy to give some updates on how funding sources can be customized. Smiley Happy

We now have options to set a preferred payment method for goods and services payments or for PayPal Checkout.

In addition, we have options to change preferred payment methods for preapproved payments (like subscriptions.)

I hope this helps!

-Ashley

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.