Can't re-link bank account after wrongly getting unlinked

LotteV

Hello all.

First of all, apologies if I'm posting on the wrong forum, and also apologies for not actually being from the US (my country doesn't have a community forum yet). I don't know where else I can post post my question. Also apologies if this question has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find a solution that worked for me.

I've been having this problem since October 2015 (which is quite a while ago) but it never got fixed, and I really need an answer since it limits me in my web payments and linking my PayPal account to other websites.

In 2015, I bought a gift for someone on Steam. Around that time (this might be important information), my bank account was being put under governance of an administration office (however, the same counts for my older sibling and they've experienced no issues whatsoever).

What happened then is very odd: I got an email from PayPal wherein it was stated that my payment could not be substracted from my bank account, because they got an automatic notification from my bank that my bank account was closed. The thing is, this isn't true at all. My bank account is still open and I still use it every week to pay with my bank card. The money instead got substracted from my PayPal Wallet, which then was in the red (which later got resolved by manually adding money to my Wallet).

I then proceeded to try and re-add my bank account, to no avail. I've been getting the same "Your request could not be processed at this time. Please try again later"-message ever since that day. At one point I even made a new dummy account on PayPal and tried to add my bank account there, but I encountered the same problem.

And yes, I have called PayPal about this as well, but they've been of no help. Basically what I got was a long, elaborate instruction on how to add money to my Wallet, which I already knew how to do - in fact, this is how I've been paying for things since then. However, while it may be a substitute for some time with payments, it gets really annoying having to add money to my Wallet all the time every time I want to make a payment (so for the record, transferring money from my bank to PayPal manually works and I'm experiencing no issues with that). Another problem it doesn't solve is the linking to other websites - for instance, I tried to link my PayPal to my Patreon account, but I get the message "Please add a credit card to continue" (I don't own a credit card, so that is not a solution for me). I know this message appears when there is no bank account linked to your account and disappears when a bank account is added, but... yeah. That is the whole problem, as we all know.

I have also contacted my bank (who told me that they didn't do anything and that it was PayPal's fault) and I also contacted the money administration office (who told me it was either my bank or PayPal, making me believe the fault is at PayPal).

I just want to re-link my bank account to PayPal, but I haven't been able to do that for about 1,5 years now. I'm still getting that error message and I'm very tired of it. I wouldn't mind calling PayPal again, but I'm super scared I'll get the same instructions that I already know.

Can anyone please help me, or at least tell me why PayPal thinks my bank account got closed? And will PayPal be able to let me re-link my account? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Lotte V

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Posting in a specific section isn't so important.

What you did correct, however, was state that you are not in U. S.  It would be helpful to state which country as each country as different requirements.

What is the name of your bank?  Is it still accepted by PayPal?

My guess is one problem is that your bank is still linked to your PayPal account so you would not be able to add it again.

Is the bank account in your name and address the same as your PayPal name and address?

Suggest you phone PayPal support and ask if the bank account is active on your account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.