Can't make transaction at dollar general

Apostle2015
New Community Member
I went to try to make a transaction at dollar general as usual using my phone number but it asked for a code instead. Where do I find this?
Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

PayPal_Andy

Hi Apostle2015 -

That's a great question and I'll be happy to help! 🙂

There have been some recent changes to the checkout process at Dollar General, so I can totally understand where the confusion is coming from.

What you're needing is a payment code. What you'll do is, when entering Dollar General, you'll need to check-in using the PayPal app on your phone. If it doesn't already default to the Shopping page, you can get there by clicking our logo towards the top left. Select your specific Dollar General and the app will provide you a four-digit payment code you enter into the PIN pad when checking out.

Hopefully that helps, but if not please let us know!

- Andy

Login to Me Too

dldl
Contributor
Contributor

I tried using paypal at dollar general i used the app but did not get a pin number or store code . before all you did was enter phone # then pin # ???

Login to Me Too

dldl
Contributor
Contributor

well i figured it out you get a screen with a p to the left and pay to the right you have to flick the p to the pay for it to work  just pressing the button would make more sense.

Login to Me Too

piotr313

yes i did same today mostly like in toy s r us you enter your phone number and pin you created on your mobile now i see in dollar general before you go to the store and want to pay you have to open paypal application and by store yyou have to select the dollar general on your phone that is on the street you are in so then you have to slide right and it show s you the 4 digit code so money can be taken from your account each time is different code  i like the method in american eagle and toy s r us that you type your phone number and than your pin you created that was much easier

Login to Me Too

piotr313

great help thanks ;)))

Login to Me Too

mgb24701
Contributor
Contributor
I have tried several times to use paypal at dollar general but it never works. I have made sure i linked my phone to my account, made sure i chose the right store, made sure i had enough in my account...what am i doing wrong?
Login to Me Too

mrhazz
I have been declined several times at dollar general with new payment code system they have. Very frustrating. Calls to PayPal no help. New system does not even allow me to use payment card. Paypal Please switch back to old way or fix this issue. The dollar general manager said Everyone who tries to pay with PayPal gets declined. So I do not think it is just me having this issue.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Susie
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi mgb24701 -

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the community, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with payments at Dollar General.

There were some changes in their payment system and when checking out with PayPal there are two options:

• Payment code – The customer will check in using the PayPal app on their mobile phone to select Dollar General from the list of available merchants. The app will automatically generate a four-digit payment code that the customer will enter into the PIN pad when checking out at the register.
  • Payment card and signature – At checkout, the customer can swipe their PayPal Payment Card and sign to complete the purchase.

Regrettably, I’m not able to review or take any action within the account from the community. To allow us to research the situation and assist you, please reach out to PayPal customer service by phone, email, Twitter, or Facebook.

-Susie

Login to Me Too

lizziexoxo
New Community Member
is there any way i can generate the code before i get to the store and use it when i am ready to check out? i live in an area with almost no cell reception, so there's no way for me to generate the code when i get to the store.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.