Security Question in an Overseas context

Robofairy
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to logon today. Paypal accepted my login details but wants to check more security as I am in a different location (I am in the US, not the UK). It asked to text or call me on my phone. But if I give my UK phone number (which is the only one Paypal knows) then I cannot answer as I am using my USA phone. Why would I want to incur costs of an overseas call, not to mention any other data that tries to download while I am on an overseas SIM.

I tried to email but it wants my UK phone number again. So I can't even contact Paypal (it only gives a UK based 0800 number so that will cost me more again, if it works?). This was the only way I could send out an SOS - to come to the community forum.

Can anyone advise how to get over this barrier - without incurring costs of an overseas call?

I need to make a payment urgently to an South African company!

Oh the joys of the global village 🙂

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Sabina_Angelia
Contributor
Contributor

Is your account registered under Uk?

And you are now in the US?

Login to Me Too

Robofairy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sabina

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes my account is in the UK, but I now live (part-time) in the USA.

Thanks

Sal

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why don't you open a US account since you have US contact info (mailing address, phone)?  Then you can buy PayPal cash cards to load money to your account. If you want to use your UK account abroad, always let PayPal know via the security settings in your profile settings.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Robofairy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yes I could do that but I wanted to take the funds form the UK. But yes it's a possibility y- just hate opening more and more accounts for things I don't really want! 🙂 cheers.

Login to Me Too

ShiraYuki
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

you can call customer support so they can remove some security flag from your account once you're login setup your travel plan in your paypal account .

Login to Me Too

Robofairy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - thanks but do you know a telephone number for customer support?

Sal

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.