Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

Hereford20
New Community Member

I have refused to give my photo and copy of my bank statement. I find this an intrusive request, they have my bank details for transactions and l will not give them anything else. If this means l cannot use PayPal anymore then so be it.

Login to Me Too

Katiethree
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the EXACT same problem as you RED666S ....Did you get it figured out, please let me know....Thank you

Kathy

Login to Me Too

Saif1a
Contributor
Contributor

Simple. Police State, Tax laws, Brexit, The banks want control of your money and your whereabouts where ever you go in world.

Login to Me Too

mexicancraft
Contributor
Contributor

Its happening to me too, but not only ID and proof of addres, they are asking me for invoices, bank account statement, supplier contact info, copy of business licence, and proof of shipment to buyer.

The weird thing here will be.... i sell Mexican crafts i get from native indigenous artisans who BARELY even speak spanish.... those are my suppliers, how the heck am i supposed to provide that info? this said they OBVIOUSLY do not provide invoices or proof of payments, it even sounds funny

Login to Me Too

Sho_ers18

I dont know if *you* consider PAYPAL an online bank, but I consider it a credit card.

I dont provide proof of address, photo id, for any of those.  And I certiainly wont with paypal. 

What is the 'federal regulation' that requires this?

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is PayPal is trying to push US law on to UK residents - they have shown a complete lack of understanding, customer care and their true colours in this whole debacle!

Login to Me Too

Clero
New Community Member
How long does this process take, i bought a mycash card and i can't transfer the funds, also it seems that website doesn't work, it never loads
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Clero

Welcome to the community forum.

How long it takes to review documents you have sent in depends on why you have been asked for them and whether you can use the account.  If you can send and receive money it can take up to 7 days but if you cannot it shouldn't take any longer than 24 hours.

If you are concerned though I would recommend getting in touch so we can have a look at it for you. As well as the traditional methods of getting in touch you can find by clicking 'contact' at the end of the page you will also find us on Twitter @AskPayPal and on Facebook www.Facebook.com/PayPalUK .

I hope this helps.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

JasonJones

Cn anyone direct me to better payment options than Paypal?

Login to Me Too

Katiethree
Contributor
Contributor

go to the bank and get one of those Virtual Visa's.....everything you buy online goes through that, and no information is given, you don't have to put in a credit card number or anything, I ordered one last week...I am having trouble with PayPal to asking for all this information that is none of their buisness, and I have did nothing wrong, and have been an honest customer for 13 years and I spent ALOT of money using their service.....they won't let me close my account unless I send them my information....so I went and cancelled my Visa's and my Bank accounts which Pay Pal was linked to.....so Bye Bye Pay Pal .....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.