Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Sorry but no one else on here can give you those reasons as that is a matter for customer services / paypal only.

I would phone again and ask to speak to a supervisor / manager.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I asked to be put through and the 'gentleman' on the phone refused. 

He basically stated that NO ONE at PayPal would answer those questions and he couldnt put me through to his maanager.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well thats just rude isn't it.

Personally I would have a problem as well sending info eg my passport info etc to paypal.

Sorry not sure how you get around this one.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi RED666s & kernowlass,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

In my experience PayPal typically asks for this information when you have reached or are close to reaching the receiving limit on your account.

As PayPal is an online bank we do have to comply with certain financial regulations and this is why PayPal accounts have this type of limit.

I've linked in a bit more information about this from our website:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=204725&topicID=48600006&m=T...

I do understand that this information is sensitive and this is why we ask you to upload it securely through the resolution center of your account.

I hope that explains this process and feel free to come back to me here if I can be of any further help,

Conor

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

@ PayPal_Conor - Thanks for the reply but unfortunately it doesn't help on this occasion as I do not receive monies in to my PayPal account at all.

I only use PayPal to purchase from online services and sites - I dont use it in any other way.

It also doesnt go anyway to explaining why they need photo ID to be honest.

My real issue with the whole this is they will not tell me why they want this information and the rude telephone agent gave me a response along the lines of 'because we have requested it!'

Should my bricks and mortar bank threaten to restrict/close my account then they would have to give me a written reason for doing so.

Login to Me Too

Alistair1234
New Community Member
Your bank has your photo and if on file. PayPal is treated as a bank so must comply with the law. Basically ist to stop people funding terrorism and money laundering. With out it the govt would not be able to trace it easily. If you don't like it maybe use a debt MasterCard for your purchases. less fees!!
Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

@Alistair1234 I can assure you that I have never given my bank a copy of my photo. I signed up for this account when I was under 18 and had no photo ID at the time (this was some years ago mind).

I am still using the same account and to date have never provided them with either a driving license or passport. The only way they would have my photo is if they took it without my consent.,

IF I had to provide my bank account with photographic ID then they would have the courtesy to tell me why. If you read the opening post, my biggest complaint is that PayPal sent an email demanding this information with no explination as to why they needed. They then followed it up with threats to limit my service if I didnt provide it. 

In telephone conversations I had with them their answer was along the lines of "because we have asked for it" and that is the politest it was ever explained. Basically PayPal is trying to implement US regulation on UK residents.

I did send them the copies of the info they required but with most of the information blocked out.

Login to Me Too

tobycat
Contributor
Contributor

Hello RED666S  I am having similiar requests can you please let me know what the outcome was with your situation.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

JohnBee1
Contributor
Contributor

My bank does not have my photo or a copy of my passport and has never asked for anything like that.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.