Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

huhuxadoo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm new
I made a business account
And I want to start working
But I need to pass the verification
to remove the limitations
How to contact you by email ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

I understand. You can send us an email through the webform. You just need to select "Contact us" at the bottom of the PayPal page. We'll be happy to help 🙂

Jessica

Login to Me Too

huhuxadoo
Contributor
Contributor

wrote many times. No answer

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Sorry to hear that. As previously advised, you can also reach out to us via https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal. Alternatively, in the contact option you can find our phone number. 

Jessica

Login to Me Too

shael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not doing this either.    I have a driver's licence, with an old address on it.

Everything was fine, until a card expired, and then they want all this new info.

I guess I'll do things the hard way, and not use the card.

Why do you harrass everybody, who are clearly not money launderers?

People, if you need people to pay shipping, just request stamps sent snail mail.

I couldn't even verify the new card, so couldn't use it to go to a post office to pay a guy's shipping fees.

I downloaded all monies in Paypal. I'm too poor to risk them hijacking them.

I canceled a recurring payment through paypal, because I'm just not going to use it anymore.

You paypal, caused undue hardship for many people, when there wasn't even a problem.

Some of us have had accounts through you for decades.

I think I'll sever my bank accounts just in case paypal feels like auto debiting them for some reason.

People's trust in paypal, has gone down the drain.

There has to be something else out there to use.

Well all have to go old school, and send money orders.

I'm not wasting $10 worth of phone time, hanging on the phone, for them to tell me nothing

You DO realize some people are homeless, and don't have an address.

Or they are changing addresses.

I have a birth certificate, but it has my original name on it, not my current one.

Ladies get married and divorces, people change genders these days, so a birth certificate isn't going to tell, a current truth.

I'm so tired of reams of paperwork to do anything these days.

Why do you think some homeless, want to be homeless, no paperwork, no filing taxes, no getting rejected.  Just really old school existance. 

Login to Me Too

marimad

Same thing happening to me!! My account has been limited for almost a MONTH!!!!!!

ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE MUCH LONGER?? THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Login to Me Too

JohnBee1
Contributor
Contributor

Happened to me too, after 20 years with an account and no activity in l;ast 6 months and no balance.

There is no justification for a photo ID. How does that help them to process any purchase I make when they are immediately credited from my own bank account? I am not supplying a photo ID.

Login to Me Too

JohnBee1
Contributor
Contributor

Incidentally I have emailed 3 times but they do not reply

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi JohnBee1,

Welcome to our Community. 

To comply with EU anti-money laundering and ‘Know Your Customer’ regulations, we’re required to collect and verify information about you.

This action is taken to ensure that both PayPal and our customers remain compliant with all necessary European regulations.

We do understand that this process can be frustrating though and I'm sorry that you haven't received a response to your emails.

Would you consider contacting us on Facebook or Twitter so we can help you get your account back to normal though?

We are available 24/7 to answer private messages sent through our Facebook page (http://goo.gl/4BO8de) and respond swiftly to any tweets directed towards @AskPayPal.

Would you consider giving this approach a try?

Conor

Login to Me Too

shimano
New Community Member

I've had the same thing and googled the question to get here. I've no issue with sending proof of address and I've sent my credit card statement (the one linked to the account) as proof, and that will be all.  Since when did anyone ask for photo id for anything like this?

I certainly won't be sending it and I want to know if every other paypal customer in the world is being asked the same or are we the (un)lucky few?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.