IPN or PDT?

Kalob12
Contributor
Contributor

Hey there,

After being redirected many many times, I finally found some info on paypal about IPN and PDT. I don't know where to start, or how to test anything..

I want to charge a monthly subscription, and once the payment is processed I want the user to be returned to my website with their UID (preferrably) so I can give them access for another month. 

I read that IPN is more reliable but a little slower, and PDT is instant but not fully reliable (and with PDT the user HAS to click the next/return button in order for my site to make the changes).

I'd like instant (preferable) notifications when a payment is successful. And I'd like to be able to send the user to paypal to pay and will be returned to my website so I can make the changes in the database (so I need that same UID returned to my server-side script).

Can somebody help me get started with this? Because, truthfully, I'm getting quite exhausted from running around in circles with the documentation that isn't getting me anywhere (probably because of misunderstanding). 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would really appreciate some help with this. 

Kalob

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.