I am confused and new at this!

mamabrooks12
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. So I sold a smart phone on ebay for the first time. The buyer has paid and pay pal has told me to ship the item. So I went to the post office and shipped everything off. I am then told that I was to email paypal with Proof of shipment and I would get a confirmation email back saying they have recieved it and I would be credited the money.

So I have done all of that and I get an email back saying that they have my money and its 100% secure with pay pal and they needed to verify some things because its tracked air mail to overseas and I would have my money in 3-4 business days. Its already been 2 business days. But i have been having doubts and they havent been emailing with a responce to my questions.

Is this something that can be trusted??? The Item has already left the post office in my city so I am not sure if I can even retrieve it and cancel the transactions.

Any insight would be appreciated

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This sounds like a scam, read the following typical scam and see if it fits.

THIS IS A TYPICAL SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mamabrooks12
Contributor
Contributor
What should I do then?? How can I get my package back??
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

No idea, if you have the item already then not a lot you can do about it.........sorry.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

mamabrooks12
Contributor
Contributor
That's BS!! I'm sure there is something that can be done.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

IF it was a SCAM then you did not conduct the sale via the paypal site.

If you answered a fake email pretending to be from paypal and then sent the item to a scammer then paypal had nothing to do with the transaction and there is nothing they can do for you.

Often the scammers hijack ebay accounts to buy stuff but the rule is NEVER SEND AN ITEM UNTIL YOU SEE THE FUNDS IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BALANCE.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.