Scam alert

atrigirl
New Community Member

Hi,

I recently placed an ad on Kijiji regarding a bike I have for sale. I was rather clear about selling it locally, but still recieved a message (on my cell phone via text) to email this person who was "very interested". So, I did. I have had a bit of an email exchange back and forth, but she doesn't ever answer my questions directly, yet goes on and on about how "honorable" she is and "has been a paypal member in good standing for 18 months". It was not only the weird dialogue between us that signaled a warning light, but now after reading a few other stories about the PayPal scams, this situation is EXACTLY like what I have read about. The same reassurance that money will be in my hand BEFORE the bike gets picked up by the shipping company, and on and on just like the other stories I have read about. I think what struck me as weird was the run-on sentences used; no punctuation, no proof-reading, and no general clarity to what it was she was trying to speak about. I shouldn't be so hard, I imagine english was not her first language, but I am grateful that I had the presence of mind to heed the warning signs.

It comes down to that saying, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is", right?

Glad I didn't go through with it!

Hope others don't either!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

chickeninja
New Community Member

I just had the same experience. Here is the first email I received: Thanks for your reply..My name is Dave,disable Veterian from ND Am sorry for too much of this message (deaf on wheelchair),i really love this!!!!are you the owner? can i have more pics from you ? i want to buy this for my wife and i will offer more $100 to your selling price to considered it sold because i don't have much time around me to searching on the site as am lucky to find your post, i will make the proper arrangement on how to get this to me here without any of your concern, i will make use of the Registered and licensed shipping company to help me pick up and delivered to me here . i will not be able to come take a look due to my disability ,do you have a paypal account so that i can be able to make the transfer to you from my account as i can only make use of paypal because that is where my disability been paid to and it has been attached to my bank account .if you dont have a paypa is very easy You will just have to set up a paypal account at www.paypal.com you will just attached your email to your bank account and once you receive the funds the confirmation will be sent to your email from paypal and the funds will be credited to your account and the funds will have to be cleared and have cash in hand before the pick up can be done to make a the transaction honerst and secure .No shipping!!local pick up only....Hope to read from you ....

Here is the second email: okay you can send me other picture and also what is the total amount i will transfer to you ?

Then the third I just want to know more about it to make sure its in good condition so can you assure me i will not be disappointed???And also ,I need to inform you about this,just received an email from my pick agent...am most sure i did not include that in my previous email,They said they won't come for the pick up unless i pay him the agent commission fee first in order to be able to schedule a pick up time.I can not pay the agent fees from here due to my disability and i have no one to help me do that right here but i hope we can make a honest and loyal deal with each other because i know there are still some good citizen out there..i don't regret of been disable because i serve my country with honest and loyal and i will always been till the rest of my life .So what i will do here is that i will send the payment in the total amount of $2,450.So once you receive the confirmation of the payment from PayPal,you will deduct the promised amount for the item which is $1,850 and the remaining $500 will be send down to my shipping agent By Western Union( i have include the $100USD for the western union charge) I have tried to paid it direct online here but Western Union request my credit card which i don't have ,So i believe you can handle this for me. Get back to me so that i can go ahead and send the payment n ow

Here is the name and email to look out for: *email removed*

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.