fixing a dispute

iamnotme213
Contributor
Contributor

has anyone ever accidentally disputed something and cancelled the dispute with their card company? it's been over two weeks and my friends account is still negative. paypal hasn't seemed to be useful when I contact them. Any idea how long it will take? Is everyone at the paypal office laazy?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you open a dispute with Paypal or Ebaybut file a chargeback with your credit card issuer.

if you have open a dispute with paypal and then open a chargeback with the cc issuer for the same item,the Paypal dispute will close and both you and seller and Paypal await your cc issuer decision which is final.

if you close a chargeabck with your cc issuer,it should relay to Paypal so it can release the payment,if not,you then need to contact Paypal.

are you sure he has closed the chargeback with his cc issuer?

Login to Me Too

iamnotme213
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email from chase saying it closed on the 14th of september and paypal keeps saying the seller needs a response

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Erica

Hi iamnotme213,

Thanks for reaching out to us here, and welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with this case. Chargebacks that have been filed with an outside credit card company work differently than cases filed with PayPal directly. Essentially, PayPal needs to wait until we hear from the card issuer directly that the case has been closed before we can release any funds back to the seller. Depending on the card issuer, this typically takes 75 days (80 for American Express).  As soon as we receive confirmation from them that the case is not being pursued,  we will release the funds back to the seller.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and wish I had better news. If your friend has not responded to the claim in the Resolution Center yet, they may want to consider accepting the case to have the funds returned back to your card. You could then re-submit payment to them, which would likely resolve the issue much quicker.

I hope this helps!

-Erica

If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. Smiley Happy Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.