eBay Buyer given full refund by PayPal , I did nothing wrong?

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
I sold it an airbrush and compressor on eBay a couple of weeks ago , as soon It sold the buyer contacted me saying could I cancel the winning bid because he didn't really want it. I replied saying no I would not as he won the auction. He then paid for the item. Before I posted the item I made a video showing the compressor and airbrush in full working order. After the buyer received the compressor they contacted me saying it was faulty , I told them it wasn't and the video I have shows it working . They then closed the case. A few days ago I received an email from PayPal this time saying the buyer wanted a full refund, I then went to the resolution centre and learnt the buyer was no saying "it wasn't as described ?" My listing s description was " air brush and compressor, used twice , in working order". . I then explained to to PayPal how the compressor and airbrush worked and the buyer simply did not want it and wanted their money back. Today I received an email from PayPal saying they have decided to give the buyer their money back ? How can this be ? I did nothing wrong and followed the rules and conditions of eBay ? They clearly didn't want the item and in my opinion should not have bid if they didn't want it ?
Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

kbtsou
Contributor
Contributor

And, I'm not justifying his actions, merely stating that this entire fiasco could have been avoided had you just allowed him to cancel his bid to begin with, as eBay says you can do (according to a past post...I don't really do much eBay-ing). Pushing the buyer, who has more leverage than the seller, into a position he does not want to be in is what led to this mess in the first place. While, yes, he should be a man of his word and bought what he bid on, there are just to many avenues for recourse as a buyer for the seller not to be accommodating, much like any "real" business. The customer will typically always win.

Login to Me Too

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
Just a quick update , I received the airbrush and compressor back today and surprise surprise it's in complete working order , no air leak . Just as I described in the listing. The buyer lied and got away with it . Honesty isn't always the best policy it seems.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

But the bidder requested to cancel bid.  You refused.  This was the only way to get their money back.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
bit the listing wasn't broken ? Why should I return his money ? A shop wouldn't give me a refund ? You bid , you win you buy at an auction .
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Because they requested to cancel, you didn't and it was the only way to undo it.

They could have broken it and sent it back like that and you can't resell it.  They also could send you back a rock and have good chance of winning the refund. They could have filed a chargeback with their credit card and you would have been charged an extra $20 in addition to the amount paid.  There are many was they can get evil on you if you do not provide customer satisfaction.  There are plenty of reported cases.

With a store, the person could just back out by not going to the store to buy and generally stores accept refunds as long as the item is in the same condition and if no returns or refunds signs are posted, the buyer can leave the store.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

HappyMacXL
Contributor
Contributor

.... Because, as i've found to my massive financial loss, eBay and PayPal are biased hugely towards the buyer - far more than needed.  And that's the answer.

Did you know that if you buy something and it's sent without tracking i.e 1st Class Royal Mail; that when it arrives you can raise a claim against the seller stating it never arrived and - because the seller will have no way of proving whether it arrived or not - you will win automatically and get your money back.

That my friends is theft, pure and simple.

You have my sympathies chap, you've been done like countless others.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.