eBay Buyer given full refund by PayPal , I did nothing wrong?

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
I sold it an airbrush and compressor on eBay a couple of weeks ago , as soon It sold the buyer contacted me saying could I cancel the winning bid because he didn't really want it. I replied saying no I would not as he won the auction. He then paid for the item. Before I posted the item I made a video showing the compressor and airbrush in full working order. After the buyer received the compressor they contacted me saying it was faulty , I told them it wasn't and the video I have shows it working . They then closed the case. A few days ago I received an email from PayPal this time saying the buyer wanted a full refund, I then went to the resolution centre and learnt the buyer was no saying "it wasn't as described ?" My listing s description was " air brush and compressor, used twice , in working order". . I then explained to to PayPal how the compressor and airbrush worked and the buyer simply did not want it and wanted their money back. Today I received an email from PayPal saying they have decided to give the buyer their money back ? How can this be ? I did nothing wrong and followed the rules and conditions of eBay ? They clearly didn't want the item and in my opinion should not have bid if they didn't want it ?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You'll need to understand that when you sell on eBay and/or use PayPal to receive payments, buyers are the ones who can dictate rules. It doesn't matter that much who is right, if buyer wants refund he can claim that item is broken, not as described, he can smash the item with hammer and then take picture showing that this is how the item arrived.

For example, I bought item from seller couple months ago. Seller never uploaded tracking info to PayPal even though he sent the item. It has now been several months and the tracking number which was on the package is no longer valid, you can't see that the item was delivered even if he would now enter the information. I wonder if he even saved the shipping papers/info since it has been so long.

I could possibly file dispute about item not received and get my money back. This is PayPal.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
25 REPLIES 25

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Why didn't you cancel the sale when you knew the buyer didn't want it?  Why did you a ship an item to a buyer when the buyer had already asked to cancel? 

Pushing an unwanted item to a buyer is a recipe for disaster.

Failing to ressolve an issues with a buyer is another problem.  When you fail to resolve an issue, the buyer become emboldened to pursue other chanels and at each point the seller risks a greater loss.  If you had resolved the first issue with payPal the buyer would likely have been required to return the item.  But again you allowed the buyer to push the issue with PayPal and again you refused to resolve.  So now PayPal needs to make a decision about who is telling the truth and you already have a history of refusining resolution on this case.  That left little option for PayPal other than force a refund and not require return.

As you stated at the end "They clearly didn't want the item", so why did you ship it?

Login to Me Too

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
If you bid on an item at an auction you are legally obliged to buy it . Other bidders were bidding on the listing over the 30 days . They asked questions and were very interested. I am not in the habit of wasting my time and efforts on time wasters . If you bid and win you buy , it's not rocket science . They buyer is responsible for their own actions
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

It's not rocket science to keep an item when a buyer doesn't want it.  Seller is responsible for seller's action; that's how you run a successful business.

It looks like you wasted a lot of time and money on this buyer; it could have been avoided by not shipping the item.

The buyer might have been required by eBay to buyer, but the buyer was not obligated or required to NOT file a dispute and ask for a refund; that's where good business judgment comes into play before shipping the item.

Login to Me Too

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
I am not a business , I am a private seller . As an adult you learn that you have to live by the decisions you make . If I bid on an item and win I butch the item , after all I made the decision myself to enter a bid. To simply say "I don't want it " isn't justification in cancelling the winning bid . Buyers need to realise they are entering a legal contract once they bid and the consequence of their action is binding . If all winners of bids simply requested to back out eBay would be full of cancelled winning bids
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

As long as you make this the buyer's fault there would be no other resolution other than what was determined by PayPal.  Seller's need to take responsibility for their own business decisions ( you sell items, therefore, you are a selling business).

Login to Me Too

funkyred1
Contributor
Contributor
Fact : they bid and won the listing Fact : they tried to get a refund on eBay saying it was faulty ......,,,it wasn't I have proof of it working Fact : they then tried saying the item "was not as described " when they realised the faulty case was invalid.........it was as described to the letter.at no point did the buyer contact me whilst the auction was in progress as other bidders did. How can you now say I am responsible ? It is the buyers fault . No evidence proves I am at fault ? I sold an item in full working order and described it honestly . I am starting to realise that maybe the articles I have read about PayPal are correct and you always side with the buyer no matter what. You bid , you win , you buy ..........
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You're facts are not relevant to the case as they are not accepted by PayPal as "facts"  When a buyer doesn't want an item, the buyer will be inventive in ways to legally get a refund.  A buyer is not legally requred to keep an item when the buyer can find a way to get a refund.  That's the way business works.   That's the risk in selling online.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@funkyred1

when you sell on EBAY,you must realise there are bidders who are not honorable,they have buyer remorse,they cheat and steal your item,they lie about condition so they can make you pay return shipping/

When a  buyer said cancel the order,the smart one will cancel the order instead of forcing him to find other ways to get out of the contract.

now you learn what kind of venue Ebay is,be wise,cancel the order ASAP ,now your lost your item,you shipping and your time.

He can also go to his cc issuer,then you pay $20 penalty    

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

you can always relist or offer t o the next highest bidder.

if he does it too many times,Ebay will suspend his privilege of bidding and buying

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.