Unable to Contact Support about Ghost Charges/Fraudulent Activity

InnerM
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I'm having one hell of a time trying to resolve an issue.

I'll start from the beginning.

About the middle of February my paypal was sitting at around 9$ CDN. As I don't do much online activity or have automated payments I don't check it a whole lot.

I decided to check my balance about a week ago and it's sitting at a negative of -150$ 

I found out the payments came from adobe who I have payed 9.99 by month for photoshop in the past but everything was cancelled back in 2017.

I contacted adobe about any charges and they told me that they are non legit and they completely agree I shouldn't have these charges.

My big issue on top of all this is that this activity and these random charges have been happening for months, and been declined/funds returned.

I have received zero emails about anything.

Here is where it gets really confusing. 

These charges are time travelers.

I had checked my bank account (where my funds come from) around the middle of February and both of my accounts were sitting at about 5$. Not unusual i'm a disabled stay at home parent and my wife works, money goes into her account.

I check my bank a week later and it is in the negative hundreds of dollars and all of the charges are from nearly a month ago, early January.

Even more confusing is that there are ZERO records on paypal of half of the charges. I can't even dispute them or have my bank look into them because of this.

I have tried emailing paypal. No response. Calling, and calling, and calling, and calling with no response. 

Every time I call i'm told I was placed with some 3rd party company in Winnipeg and they don't even speak english.

I need some damn help here paypal.

None of this makes any sense and i'm getting no assistance from costumer service. 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Tytheuncreator
New Community Member
I just got an email saying i made a $20 donation to a company in bc but there is no record of it in my actual paypal account but the email did come from paypal. And have been unable to find where to go to follow up with it.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @InnerM,

I'm sorry to hear of the unrecognized charges, and the difficulty that you've had reporting them by phone or email. Since some of the charges are not listed in your PayPal account, reporting by customer service is a necessary measure, and phone is the only way that you can safely convey the financial information that would be needed to search for the transactions. You can reach out by PM on Facebook or DM on Twitter for most issues, but for this a phone call would be needed to safely discuss financial information.

I would also suggest checking to see if there are any subscriptions active on your PayPal account that need to be canceled. To do this, please follow these steps. If there are subscriptions that you believed were canceled that are listed as active, you can open a billing dispute by following these steps.

Hi @Tytheuncreator,

I'm sorry to hear that you've received a confusing email. If the email is purporting to be from PayPal but there is no corresponding activity on your PayPal account, it is very likely a phishing email. Do not click any links in the email, and forward it to spoof@paypal.com. If you have clicked a link in the email already, please follow the steps at the bottom of this page.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.