Purchase Protection for a Private Sale - Is it valid? (not ebay/Amazon/online retail etc.)

Irismoon12
Contributor
Contributor

Hello:

Can anyone please tell me if PURCHASE PROTECTION is valid when sending a private seller money for an item they are selling themselves, and not via ebay or any other online retailer. It is a completely private transaction. 

From what I can tell as long as I mark the payment as "Pay for Goods/Services" and *NOT* as a payment to Friends & Family, I will be covered. Can someone please confirm this?

I have very little worry that there will be an issue with the items, we have had long conversations negotiating to purchase this equiment. Now I need to send her the money. However, I want to be CERTAN that if I send this money to a private individual's email address/paypal account that I am covered if it doesn't actually show up. Would I be able to open a dispute if indeed the seller didn't send the goods?

BTW: The item in question is ~C$1500 of camera gear so this technically would qualify for protection based on the list of prohibited itemsand the dollar amount. The only issue is the private sale.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Irismoon12

You would have paypal protection as long as you paid an invoice or money request OR send money > goods / services.

BUT paypal protection is not a 100% coverall so you still need to risk assess your transaction.

However in the event of an item received but not as described dispute paypal won't have an ebay auction to view for eg so you need to make sure that a FULL description of the item is put on the payment notes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Irismoon12

You would have paypal protection as long as you paid an invoice or money request OR send money > goods / services.

BUT paypal protection is not a 100% coverall so you still need to risk assess your transaction.

However in the event of an item received but not as described dispute paypal won't have an ebay auction to view for eg so you need to make sure that a FULL description of the item is put on the payment notes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LeahJ68
Contributor
Contributor

How do I protect my website so the money can be transferred?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.