Paypal holding money after I proved delivery of item

Marnan2013
Contributor
Contributor

I shipped an article to Mexico in November via USPS internatioanal first class.  The buyer filed a complaint he didn't receive it.  Paypal wouldn't except my proof of shipping because it just showed it was in transit.  The gave the buyer back is payment and closed the case.  I finally found the tracking info from Mexico's postal system which uses the original tracking number.  It shows delivery, but now Paypal won't refund my money because I didn't send it Priority.  All of this is after waiting 3 days to ship and numerous calls to Ebay.  I had it set for Global Express, but somehow the buyer paid for it and it didn't go through that system.  So I have lost my merchandise, lost the very expensive shipping money, lost my payment and lost the $20 Paypal charged me.  Over $200 in all.  What do I do now?  In the 15+ years of being with Paypal, I never dreamed this would happen.  The same week a buyer sent back a package saying they changed their mind, but half of it was gone.  Ebay won't reimburse me because I can't prove it was gone.  

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

ErichZann
New Community Member

I feel for you and share your pain. Paypal refused to refund me for a return scam that I provided photographic evidence of the buyer demonstrating that he registered for the service he purchased the item from, even though he claims he didn't buy the item. I have a complete PDF with the transaction confirmation, the buyers identity, him providing photo identity in conjunction with letter of intent to join the website in question, I mean the company that did the transaction gave a literal treasure trove of information that demonstrated the intent of the purchase, and they still won't refund me. I sincerely doubt this persons financial institution will issue a refund either.

The fact that Paypal allows itself to be so easily scammed is pretty shameful. I'm going to lose 200 dollars, which might not be a ton to some people but for someone living month to month it's a lot of money.

If I had to advise anyone on using Paypal for anything other than purchases I'd advise against it. If the evidence I provided wasn't enough to prevent being defrauded of my money then it's simply too risky to use this service.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Marnan2013

not clear what you are saying,did you set  USPS global express or priority but end up shipping USPS first class,there is a big difference?

buyer paidr  for global express and you ship first class,why?

did the case close before you found tracking on MExican postal website?

If it takes too long to confirm delivery when you say you will ship priority or faster,and first class has no tracking confirmation on USPS website,you lose.

You can try sending a money request to your buyer if she is an honest person.

it is interesting that you find the tracking on MEXICAN postal website,I am always under the impression there is no tracking once it leaves USPS for priority small box.flat rate envelope and first class to Mexico,has it changed?

as for the item returned with less quantity,all you can do is file a report with USPS.

Login to Me Too

Marnan2013
Contributor
Contributor

I had it set up on Ebay to do the Global Shipping.  Somehow the buyer got it paid for and paid US shipping.  After 3 days of calling everyday, Ebay said they would cover it if there were problems and go ahead and ship.  I never use a shipping service for out of country, always use global shipping, so I sent it international first class.  In 15 years with Paypal, I had never had a problem.  I finally found the Mexican shipping site and sent Paypal the tracking info.  It was acutally delivered yesterday.  I followed up 3 hours later with a phone call.  The first two people told me that they couldn't cover it because the case was closed.  After throwing a huge fit, and starting the paperwork to file a consumer complaint with the Florida Attorney Generals office (I emailed it to Paypal while I was on hold for an hour and 15 minutes), a very nice lady got on the phone and isssued me a refund for my item and the $20 Paypal fee charged to me.  I'm still out $47 in shipping however.  

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

not sure how buyer managed to avoid global shipping,he must have stated he is in USA.

it sounds like he did a chargeback with his cc issuer,that 20 dollars is the fee when you lose the chargeback.

what did you ship USPS first class which cost that much money to Mexico?

first class overseas has a weight limit,it is never that high.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.