Ebay Refund for Delayed Shipment

d_0001
Contributor
Contributor

So I dropped off 2 priority mail packages at my local post office on February 23. I usually see the tracking info updated the same day a drop off is made, but an exception occurred with these packages. I called my local post office earlier in the week to ask what might have happened, and they replied that someone might have missed/forgotten to do the initial scan, but that the packages usually get scanned midway or on final delivery -- don't panic. So I wait, and in the mean time I file a report with USPS. USPS responds with a fairly useless response stating that the packages were never scanned, and that they should have been scanned somewhere along the line; final point being, "sorry, please accept our apologies, but there's nothing in the system."

One of the eBay users filed a claim yesterday (March 3), and now Paypal is holding the funds. I decide to drive to my local P.O. to ask what happened, and the supervisor came out to assure me that no theft occurred (on either end -- employee or outsider) and that the packages are just "delayed." She insist that the packages will be delivered, and that I shouldn't refund the Ebay user just yet. Paypal is demanding I update the tracking info, or provide a refund by Monday. So my main question being, do I refund the Ebay user despite the possibility of delivery still being there? And what happens in the event that I refund the buyer and a delivery is made afterwards? Does Paypal give me back the funds automatically, or is this something I would later have to prove and dispute?

Extra info: one of the packages was only worth $40, no signature required. The other was a sale for $379, signature required. Both packages were fully insured, but as I understand USPS will not honor the insurance for these packages as there was never a scan to prove they exist; but the supervisor at my local PO was insisting otherwise, but that I would have to wait 30 days. Anyone have experience with this?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.