PayPal requested police report

Netimaster
Contributor
Contributor
Hello all So last Sunday (5days ago as of this writing) PayPal asked for a police report to go with my dispute. The email stated I had until the 30th to get it to them or the case would close. So I made the report and today it was ready for pickup. I went to the site and noticed that the status changed to “pending PayPal review” and I’m unable to upload the report. I called CS who said “oops someone changed the status and there was nothing we can do”. Any idea how I can get the info added to the case or next steps? I have the email from PayPal with the date but the CS didn’t seem to care.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Was the dispute previously in the initial dispute process and now the other party too the preemptive action to escalate to a claim? If so, there is nothing you can do.  It is extremely important to immediately add supporting documents while in the dispute case.  Either party can take steps to escalate to a claim before the 20-day period is up.

If the case closes against you then you can phone PayPal support to appeal and maybe use new documents.

Login to Me Too

Netimaster
Contributor
Contributor
So I escalated the case to get PayPal involved. They then asked for docs which I provided, then it went to PayPal review, then back to me for the police report, then before the 30th which is in 5 days they took it back. The CS even said it was done by mistake but couldn’t do anything about it.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the explanation and timeline of events.

Since is under review I don't think there is much you can do.

Not all PayPal reps are equally knowledgeable and not all PayPal reps are equally helpful.  My first suggestion is to phone PayPal support again and go through the explanation.  The can CAN do something even it is just pass along to another rep.  It's also possible they can't do anything, but you have nothing to lose by being politely persistent with support.

If the claim does close in the other party's favor, then you still have the option to appeal the decision; that would take another phone call.

What was the dispute and why was a police report requested?

Login to Me Too

Netimaster
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the quick replies. It was for an item I purchased that was not as described then after talking to the manufacturer they mentioned it might be counterfeit. I think that’s what turned it from a simple as described case to this. The funny thing is I have all the required documentation. I guess I could also disput it with Discover Cars since I used them via PayPal. This is just dumb.
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

OK.  My suggestion is to NOT go through Discover until you have exhausted the PayPal dispute and potential appeal.  The case isn't closed, so just wait and try phoning support again if you want.

I wouldn't even guess at an outcome.

Login to Me Too

Netimaster
Contributor
Contributor
I figure I’ll let this play out but it just boggles my mind that PayPal makes a mistake and there is no way for me to get them the document they requested. Should be super simple.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.