Item not as described case

castanga
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me, i am in the UK and sold an item on ebay which was also sent to a UK address, this buyer left it 3 weeks then opened a case on paypal saying not as described, i asked him what the problem was only for him to say i had sent the wrong item which i know i hadnt, on researching this buyer i found out on the internet its a scam, so now he has escalated the case on paypal and put the tracking number in, but on checking the tracking number he is sending the pacakage back from china, so now how can this be correct, i sent to the address in the UK and im going to have to pay custom charges for this package to be delivered back to me, yet as i have been reading the original item i sent wont be inside, i have emailed paypal regarding this problem and they say its been passed over to the case for review has anyone out there had this problem with a buyer and how will paypal deal with this 

any advice would help right now 

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

William9
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor
Never had this issue, but I think once human PayPal employee reviews this case it shouldn't take too many brain cells for them to realise that the item shipped back is not your item and you should win the case.
Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Ebay has a rule,if an item has been rerouted to a different address after having been delivered  to the buyer ,the buyer loses his buyer protection.

But while this is an Ebay transaction,the dispute is open on Paypal.

Paypal is not as stringent as Ebay ,so if the tracking shows it has been returned to the seller (you),it may refund the payment in full to the buyer.

Your UK BUYER could have resold the item to someone in China or he is a forwarding agent for Chinese buyer who decided he does not want to keep the item.

if the item returned is yours and in same condition as sent,then you will just have to issue a full refund,you cant keep the money and the item.

As to customs duty,if he has marked this as a return,there should be no customs duty,you may want to ask how to appeal . 

Login to Me Too

castanga
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Thank you for your replies, i have been selling for years and this is the first time this has happened, i understand what the last response is saying but how can he be returning my item i sent him when hes saying he he didnt get the correct item,  when you say i cant keep the item and the money i do agree, but he wont be sending the item i sent in the first place, so he will be the one keeping the original item and trying to get a refund, and he cant have put on the customs label return as the tracking says custom charges incured, also after finding out this was being sent back from china i put his details in the internet and im shocked at the website ive found regarding this seller, he is commtting frauding using many names, i cant do anything put wait to see what paypal do as i have asked them to investigate him, 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Even if the buyer used a freight forwarder, the buyer can still claim item is not correct or inappropriate for their use even though you may have sent the right one.  And yes, they can very much send a switcheroo item back or a rock, or an empty box back but they are making the return and you have to examine the return and verify if it is right item returned. If not right item, you can appeal.  But the proof had better be very compelling.  Put links to sites where this person is committing fraud.  Gather all your information.  Maybe even hold off on accepting shipment from customs.  Guess people will have to start googling their customers first before shipping.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

castanga
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

Thanks for your advice,  i have sent paypal the link to this website and i only wish i had searched beforehand, i would have then cancelled the purchase and refunded him, this buyer uses a few different address UK and USA and also many different names but i found this out to late , i will just have to wait to see what happens with paypal, most buyers are honest ive been selling for many years and even if a customer just changes there mind on something theyve purchased from me i have no problem they can return it for a full refund. 

Login to Me Too

castanga
Contributor
Contributor

After the help and advise i received on here i went back on my paypal yesterday to read through the case details and realising the buyer hasnt even stated what it is he has supposed to have received instead of the item i sent, i have contacted the buyer asking what item he has received as he has just sated different, he hasnt replied at all, so now i dont even know what it is he is sending back to me, he hasnt stated on the case details anything about the item or what hes returning, any advice

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This may or may not help but I think it is a good practice.  If the item is returned, open it in the post office instead of at home and have a postal worker or manager as witness.  Even film your photo ID next to the unopened box.  Just something to have.  You never know.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

castanga
Contributor
Contributor

i contacted paypal to inform them of this problem, the case was at the return item stage and having checked today it has changed to awaiting other members response, but i will do what you have just advised also

thank you 

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You sold an item to  a UK buyer with a UK address,and now the ultimate buyer is returning the item from CHINA.

He must return with online viewable tracking,once tracking shows it has been delivered,then Paypal will refund your UK buyer in full !!

It is up to your UK buyer to take that payment and give it to his Chinese buyer.

now there is something worth noting,when Paypal robot comes around and take the Chinese  tracking number and check with UK postal website to see if it has been delivered,it maynot find it,if it find it,it may not be updated to show it has been delivered.

This is the case with US post office when it comes to updating foreign shipments coming into the country,I dont know how good UK is,IF paypal robot cannot find it on UK website or find it but it said in transit,then your UK buyer would not get refunded and his Chinese buyer would get nothing from him.

Just a thought 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.