Is This Real, or Phishing?

SrFarmers
New Community Member

We've been with PayPal for ages, and the Credit PayPal for over ayear.  I order a small ($28) item the other day one-Bay and accidentally clicked on the Creidt PaPal (nto the regular).  The item shows as paid with a balance, remaining, but we received a long e-mail that bbegins:

Important Information About Your Account

Comenity Capital Bank
c/o PayPal Credit
PO Box 5018
Timonium, MD 21094

Dear ---,

We’re sorry that we were unable to authorize your recent attempt(s) to use PayPal Credit. Your purchase caused you to exceed the Credit Line on your account and we are unable to approve an increase at this time.

Your transaction was processed by a proprietary scoring system etc., etc.,

Then one of the bulleted points states;

Your PayPal and/or eBay account activity is insufficient. The level of account activity is determined by how long your account has been open, account usage and/or your PayPal bank verification status and/or the number of bids on your eBay account.

It looks real enough, but makes no sense.  Can anybody verify if this is real or not, and what to do?  Do I check with Comenity Bank, e-Bay, PayPal, or all of them?

Help/advice is appreciated.  Tell mw what to do.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

PayPal_Nicole

SrFarmers-

Thank you for posting.

Without seeing the full letter, it is hard to say if the letter is valid, however  PayPal Credit is provided by Comenity Capital Bank.

Customer Support would be able to look at your account details and determine if the letter was in fact from PayPal Credit.  Please contact them at 866-528-3733.

Thank you,
Nicole
PayPal Credit
Login to Me Too

webmillionz
New Community Member

It;s real. 

It basically means you maxed out your paypal credit and you need 

to pay with cash or credit card.

It's like if you try to use your credit card when it's maxed out,

and google wallet sends you that nice email that says,

"HAHA You tried to buy something but you are maxed out!"

I know because I've seen it 1000 times

Login to Me Too

NP2
Contributor
Contributor

I received a letter in response to a recent request to open a PayPal Credit account from Comenity Capital Bank c/o PayPal Credit for 6/4/16.  I never attempted to open an account or make a purchase using PayPal Credit.  They were unable to approve me (thankfully).  On the letterhead there was a reference #.  I contacted Comenity Capital Bank and was emailed a letter from P. Corley at 1-855-463-6345.  I called them declining to give my social security # but giving them the reference # from the notice as well as my name and address.  The fellow I talked to had no information on the reference # nor could look up any application using my name.

Anyone had a recent similar letter?

Login to Me Too

sparkydave
Contributor
Contributor

I actually got a letter from "PayPal Credit" today saying I had a balance of $49.00.. Also it welcomed me  and thanked me for opening a "PayPal Credit" acount, which I did not... I called the number provied and a guy, Steve B. from "PayPal Credit" was going to open a fraud case for me... He also asked for my last 4 digits of my Social security number, not happening.. But then he couldn't give me a comfirmation number as he said, "they don't do that."...  I then called Paypal and was told I have a zero balance, not a $49.00 balance on any "PayPal Credit" account....  Hmmmmmmm.... This paypal employee then sent me an message, 

This is a confirmation of the conversation that we had referring to PayPal smart connect which is PayPal credit without the card. From what I could see your balance is $0, and we do not expect any payments to made for this account.

Sincerely,
Rxxx
PayPal Customer Solutions
PayPal

Not sure what is going on with "PayPal Credit"

Login to Me Too

UncleMorris
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to pay for something on a site that I always use my paypal account for.  Somehow Paypal tricked me and opened a new paypal account - which is something I did not want.  They then put an inquiry on my credit report - causing it to go down 7 points - not sure if this is illegal but is surely unethical and immoral.

Login to Me Too

epguyer
New Community Member

I got the same letter over the weekend, dated 9/1/2016, saying I had applied on 8/22/2016, which I did not.  I was also wondering if it was a phishing scam.

Login to Me Too

cwhat2012
New Community Member
Yes I received 3 different letters stating that same information except it has 3 different people name but has my address on it. Does this mean someone is trying to set up account using my address or trying to use my PayPal account? I am thinking about closing my PayPal account
Login to Me Too

Pyrophore
New Community Member

I wonder the same thing.

I got the same letter I DO NOT use PayPal Credit, have never used it, and did not make a purchase on the day they said I did (account verifies it). I changed my password nevertheless. I think this company just doesn't have it stuff together given all the complaints I've seen on the web.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Suggest you make an urgent call to PayPal/PayPal Crdit.  Posting here won't resolve any account issues.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.