Is This Real, or Phishing?

SrFarmers
New Community Member

We've been with PayPal for ages, and the Credit PayPal for over ayear.  I order a small ($28) item the other day one-Bay and accidentally clicked on the Creidt PaPal (nto the regular).  The item shows as paid with a balance, remaining, but we received a long e-mail that bbegins:

Important Information About Your Account

Comenity Capital Bank
c/o PayPal Credit
PO Box 5018
Timonium, MD 21094

Dear ---,

We’re sorry that we were unable to authorize your recent attempt(s) to use PayPal Credit. Your purchase caused you to exceed the Credit Line on your account and we are unable to approve an increase at this time.

Your transaction was processed by a proprietary scoring system etc., etc.,

Then one of the bulleted points states;

Your PayPal and/or eBay account activity is insufficient. The level of account activity is determined by how long your account has been open, account usage and/or your PayPal bank verification status and/or the number of bids on your eBay account.

It looks real enough, but makes no sense.  Can anybody verify if this is real or not, and what to do?  Do I check with Comenity Bank, e-Bay, PayPal, or all of them?

Help/advice is appreciated.  Tell mw what to do.

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

FOR SURE THAT LETTER IS BOGUS!  Do nothing but use it in the fireplace or shredder.

I received that letter also, with minor changes. IGNORE THE LETTER IT IS NOT FROM PAY PAL.

They want to collect your private information.  REMEMBER PAY PAL WILL NEVER ASK YOU PERSONAL QUESTIONS.  BEWARE!

Login to Me Too

dglennan
New Community Member

I am here at this page since I just opened my mail and I received the same letter. I was immediately confused, since I know I paid my pay pal bill and owe very little. Not to mention I have actually used the account recently with no problems. THIS IS DEFINITELY PHISHING. Synchrony Bank is Pay Pal, not Comenity. I intend to call Comenity, in the morning, since I have other accounts(stores) that are serviced by Comenity Bank. Also, I am contacting the real Pay Pal, to alert them about this scam.  If I truly was behind on a payment the letter would have a phone number for contact to discuss the delinquent issue. This letter has no number at all. If you receive this letter I would contact PayPal Synhcrony Bank and Comenity Bank. Do not provide any information to this letter email.

Login to Me Too

HA HA MY LETTER WAS TO A DECEASED PERSON!  IMAGINE THAT ONE!  DUH, I DID NOT JUST FALL OFF THE CABBAGE TRUCK.  Now that is stupidity.  Like a dead person applied for credit?  I don't think so.  Actually was so rediclous I had to laugh.  They are just trying to pull a fast one!  

Login to Me Too

classicvic
New Community Member

I got a similar letter today declining my recent application (which I had NOT made).  In fact I got THREE such letters each with a different reference number.  Someone has been trying to impersonate me recently by opening fraudulent credit cards, so I put a freeze on my accounts at the credit bureaus (Equifax etc.) which will prevent this from happening.

My point is - if you get a letter saying an account WAS created, it would be worth not only contacting Comenity (866-528-3733) to see if an account WAS created, but also worthwhile putting a freeze on your credit bureau accounts in case you are in the crosshairs of some fraudsters who are trying to use your personal information to apply for crecit cards under your name.

As someone in this thread mentioned, I would NOT call any phone numbers in the letters you receive, and would NOT give out social security # or other personal information to someone that is reaching out to you via letter or phone or email.

V.

Login to Me Too

Cornbreadiest

I have just received one of these letters dated 11/01 and it references an account I tried to open (which is not true) in NOVEMBER OF 2011!  It even reads, "in response to your recent request to open a PayPal Credit account).  Is 5 years recent to them?!  

Please tell me these letters are frauds.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Cornbreadiest

Is the email really from PayPal?

Did you open a PayPal Credit account?

Login to Me Too

Cornbreadiest

The letter, an actual letter, not an email, is from Comenity Capital Bank.  I was turned down for an account that I supposedly tried to open when I bought something from a computer company in November of 2011.  I did not request to open an account at that time.  I checked my credit record and I have no hits from this company on it.   So, who knows.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Comenity Bank is the bank for PayPal Credit.

Do you have a PayPal Credit account or every apply for one, even 5 years ago?

What is the letter requesting that you do?

Login to Me Too

angkor1
New Community Member

I also received a letter informing me that an alleged attempt I had made to open a new account was rejected (never happened). But here's the thing: the English is flawed, ungrammatical, clearly written by a non-native speaker. And the letterhead looks unprofessional. I was puzzled in that the letter doesn't request that I do anything. Finally, I checked my Paypal account message section - no messages from Paypal. Ergo, this letter is fraudulent. I tossed it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.