I wonder how PayPal allows such scams.

shantanuthakur1
Contributor
Contributor

Let me tell you in brief. I sold my Counter-Strike Global offensive Case keys worth $60 to a guy for PayPal (using Family and Friends option). The trade went smooth but  next day he appealed PayPal for unauthorized transaction and PayPal revoked the amount without even considering my reply to the case.is is what they said "We have reviewed the case. Because you have not met Seller Protection performance requirements , the transaction will be reversed. The case is now closed.".

I understand PayPal doesn't provide protection for virtual items but what is the point in doing it when this is a absolute scam? I even screenshots of chats and trade history.

Please share if you have anything I can do for this and to prevent further scams.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shantanuthakur1

Firstly its against paypal rules to sell and use the friends / family option.

Secondly by using that option to avoid paying your seller fees you also negate your seller protection.

Whilst a buyer can't open a paypal dispute for paying using the friends / family option they CAN file a chargeback directly via their card issuer OR they can file an unauthorised transaction.

If you had received the payment via goods / services you would have been reimbursed as you would have had seller protection....................you chose not to so you scammed yourself basically.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

HeyManHRU
New Community Member

wrote:

@shantanuthakur1

Firstly its against paypal rules to sell and use the friends / family option.

Secondly by using that option to avoid paying your seller fees you also negate your seller protection.

Whilst a buyer can't open a paypal dispute for paying using the friends / family option they CAN file a chargeback directly via their card issuer OR they can file an unauthorised transaction.

If you had received the payment via goods / services you would have been reimbursed as you would have had seller protection....................you chose not to so you scammed yourself basically.

He never had sellers protection to begin with and neither does the buyer have buyer's protection. The reality is the person who sent the money could easily retrieve the money by making a credit card charge-back, as PayPal obviously would obviously have their customers lose the money and not themselves, even though it's a problem with PayPal security allowing the misuse of someone else's credit card, if that was even the case. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@HeyManHRU

They don't have buyer protection for item not received OR items received but not as described disputes, but they DO have buyer protection for unauthorised transaction dispute OR they can do a chargeback via their card holder.

If it was an unauthorised dispute or chargeback then the seller may well have had seller protection if it had been a goods / services payment but as it was a friends / family payment they lost that seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jfoster55
New Community Member

Ya I know how you feel Ive been a customer for atleast 9-12 years and they helped someone scam me so now im having my bank help me to get my money back. When I signed up i agreed that they would protect me and then they changed the rules and ive never been noticed or ever agreed with them. Pretty much they aren't worth using because there suppose to be the third party to protect me and instead helping the scammers out. and they act like they were gonna kick them off but they deleted the case.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.