Reply to topic
dave357 Contributor
Contributor
Kudos: 3
Accepted Solutions: 0

Re: Am I being scammed?

Update: Phony emails set to spoof@paypal. PayPal tracing email address to lock down the scammer. Another low life foiled. Good guys win!!!  Smiley Very Happy

older-and-wiser Contributor
Contributor
Kudos: 0

WEll, tracing an e-mail address is like finding a penny on the street. i.e., not a Big deal.

Glad you didn't get ripped off, but don't hold your breath thinking anyone is gonna catch this guy, and

thus far what has he done? Nothing but fail to make a deal with you?

Don't be so foolish next time.

The big bad paypal police aren't gonna find this guy or do anything to him.

YOU are the one who has to be careful about every transaction to avoid getting ripped off.

Get paid first!

Get paid first!

And, get paid first!

0 Kudos
Administrator PayPal_Olivia
Administrator
Kudos: 283
Accepted Solutions: 59

Hi older-and-wiser,

You're absolutely correct that the first and most important line of defense against scammers is to be informed and cautious before entering into any transaction. That's the best way to make sure that you, individually, are protected, and everyone can do it.

The benefit to forwarding scam emails to PayPal is that sender information is collected and used to prevent the same scammers from using the same channels to continue operation. Without those reports, scammers can operate unchecked. Is one report going to do the job? Maybe not... but NO reports will definitely not do the job. Every report helps.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Andrew8468 Member

Well I guess I am in the same boat.  Just received an email from an ad posted on Craigslist for a couple of old cellphones.  Say he is willing to pay fullprice plus shipping to send the phones to his brother in West Africa and he wants my PayPal email address.  Sounds suspicious to me.

0 Kudos
hotbob New Community Member
New Community Member

i paid for all the items i bought,on1-10-1-14.why have the people not been paid.it come out of my account the next day.i get emails from people,wanting to know why they have not been paid.i paid sundaymonee on 1-10 ihave a receit,but you want me to pay again. and why are you so slow to ship,as much as you charge.

0 Kudos
BoscoPCoalTrain New Community Member
New Community Member
Kudos: 1

I just had the same offer to pay wu $850 plus another $150 for a boat I'm selling.  It just seemed fishy.  I told the idiot that I don't have $850 plus the wu fee of $150.  I should tell him to give me a credit card number and I will run it for the amount.  In reality if it smell, taste, walks, and quacks, like a scam then it is.  The person that I'm supposed to send this wu lives in Costa Rico for the registration of the boat to his shipping company.  The buyer told me he was a marine biologist and that the only way to contact was by email.  He would be out in the middle of some ocean doing research.   Well my gut instinct told me that he must be one of those pirates over in Somalia wanting to scam money off of us.  Good luck!

Lucky7_Deals Contributor
Contributor
Kudos: 17
Accepted Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

To BoscoPCoalTrain, even if someone does give you a credit card that you're able to accept, it doesn't mean that you're in the clear. Ultimately, you have to decide on whether or not a party is trustworthy and choose to either complete or decline a transaction with them. It could be that the card was stolen, and if you approve the transaction, the true owner will later claim an unauthorized charge, and you will have your funds taken away and end up losing the merchandise that you handed over to the thief (who is long gone by now). So yes, if you think that someone is scamming, just decline the transaction and say that you can't go through with it.

0 Kudos
garybeebe Member

I was asked to pay by money order when I aiireadey paid through paypal ,what do i do?

0 Kudos
blondieslp Member

Don't ever send money by way of WU. I got defrauded that way. It was a mess. This was early on when people were not as aware of this kind of tactic.                      So be careful!!!

0 Kudos
Johnlee125 New Community Member
New Community Member

[ Edited ]

I just bought an item from this guy and sent him several E-Mails about when its being shipped. The address he listed is invalid. can you check this out for me. I have already paid for the item.

0 Kudos